• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Blue Screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not be too sure of that Pichou. 600+ degrees would make a pretty soft blade. A lead bath temper does make a fine spring however.

:shake:

The steel is hardened through a special process using a bath of molten lead where the forged steel blade is immersed at 800 °C (degrees Celsius).[1] The efficient metal-to-metal heat transfer, from the surrounding lead to the steel blade, enables fast and uniform heating of the steel at the optimum temperature for maximum hardness. The annealing stage follows the hardening process, where at 300 °C the steel becomes flexible and brittleness is eliminated according to phase diagrams for steel.[1][6]

The razors begin as rough razor blanks manufactured to Thiers-Issard specifications by their steel supplier. The first step toward producing a finished razor is to clean up the rough blank using a heavy forge in a process called "detourage."

After forging, a hole is drilled in the tang that will accommodate the pivot pin. This step is done this early in the process because after the lead hardening process that is used on their best quality razors, drilling would be quite impossible.

This process was also used by Nicholson to harden files.

:v

Good post Pichou. Now I understand more of what you're saying. I would never have thought to use lead at 800c. to austenize. Other than obvious health hazzards, that would work beautifully. Now days, molten salts do that job with much more safety. However, to do a 300c. temper would require an alloyed lead to get the melt temp lower than pure lead, and the Sheffield razors would have been quite soft at that temper, compared to what most expect a razor hardness to be today. I do think the Sheffield would get the job done, but it would require more attention to keep it sharp. Also, I'm sure you are aware that the lead bath is not what gives the blade it's hardness, it is the quench that would be done at that temp. As you pointed out, the lead, or salt bath gives a very even, and deep heat, with no decarb, or scale until it is quenched. Very good. Thanks. You've got me wondering if they were possibly making the steel into Bainite, which process was developed in the 1920's, or 30's, I believe. Maybe a bit later. What time period are the razors you are referring to? Bainite is a heat treat condition made by cooling the austenized steel to below a certain heat, in a certain amount of time, by going from one heat bath to another of lower temp, producing a condition in the steel that is very tough, yet hard, providing enough carbon is present in the steel. In theory at least, 01 tool steel could be brought to a condition, that in a blade, it could bend 90o, and yet return straight, at the same time having a hardness of around 58 Rc. That would be an incredible feat. I don't know if it has been done, but in theory, it has been stated to be possible. Thanks again. A very interesting post, for me at least.

I think the first is 1870's and the second??? but I have read it someplace from the 1st quarter of the 19th c. too just can't find it.

Back