• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Best Wild Game Recipe Ever

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadkin

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Welcome happy meteorologicall fall before I get started let me say a few things first.
(1) I'm old fasioned natural lump carcoal and wood is all I use No gas or electric grills or smokers allowed, And never lighter fluid start your charcoal in a chimney starter.
(2) This recipe can be used over an open fire pit and spit.
(3) This recipe can be used on all your wild and tame meat ie Bear, Moose, Elk, Deer, Ram, beef, pork and so on.
(4) The smoking wood you use will be up to you and the part of the country you live in; here in the Southeast Hickory Rules and I think this is the best wood of choice period. In the southwest oak and misquite are good in the central U.S. misquite and apple are good choices, for you in the Northeast and Northwest I really don't know what is available to you but you should have everything available to you on the web.
(5) Any tree that produces a wood or a nut, that wood is ok for smoking.
With all that said lets Throw Down.
You will need to set up your grill for indirect cooking.
You will need a large drip pan for what we are going to concentrate on is meat shoulders and hind quarters.
First the Rub
equal parts of the following( how much you need and use will depend on the size of the meat, usually 1/2 to 1 tablespoon will be enough if not add more are you can make alot It will keep and you can use It Next Time).
Coarse Salt
Black Pepper
Paprika
Cumin
Thyme
Sage
Oregano
Celantro
Dried Mustard
Garlic powder
Onion Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Now for the Mop Sauce
Melted Butter
A Little Brown Sugar
Apple Cider
Again how much you need will be decided on how big of a shoulder or hind quarter you are cooking, You will be mopping the meat once every hour and you will be cooking low and slow for about four to six hours depending on the size of your feast.
Prepare your meat in the fridge. overnight, soak in milk, beer what ever you use to get some of the wild taste out.
Place the meat in drip pan and add quarted onions, potatoes, and small carrots, add rub to meat sprinkle a little on vegies.and pour a little melted butter over vegies.
soak wood chips in water for at least an hour and add to charcoal for smoke, you will need to replenish charcoal and wood chips about every hour I usually use about 1 1/2 cups of chips an hour.
Your looking for well done on the wild meat around 170 to 180 degrees.
Enjoy.

First the Rub
equal parts of the following

Coarse Salt
Black Pepper
Paprika
Cumin
Thyme
Sage
Oregano
Celantro
Dried Mustard
Garlic powder
Onion Powder
Cayenne Pepper
Now for the Mop Sauce
Melted Butter
A Little Brown Sugar
Apple Cider

Ya forgot the kitchen sink! :wink:

I have other people refer to the recipe like that many times ya think it would make a good name for it?
Thanks Chef

Back