• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Best Patch Lube I've Ever Used

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well gentlemen, experimentation can really pay off. I've found the ultimate load for my .54 Great Plains flintlock.

Today I shot my best 75 yard group ever - fifteen shots into a little over two inches. I was astounded. I was shooting one of my standard loads - 85 grains FFFg GOEX, a .530 Hornady ball, and a .018 pillow tick patch. I've shot this load many times before, but never got this kind of accuracy. The only thing significantly different this time was the patch lube.

The lube I used is much more liquid than what I usually use. It's readily available and fairly inexpensive. Smells good too. The best part is that I did not swab once during those fifteen shots.

Here's the target, and a picture of the bottle of lube.

April1.jpg

PatchLube-1.jpg

(Posted 1 April 2009)

Good morning
As mentioned Olive Oil is natural so does not get crusty with Black residue.
I have been usisng Oliveoil with beeswax for years for my BP shooting in various mixtures and never have any reload/cleanup problems.
It will get runny in hot weather so ya just add more bee product.
Smells good, tastes great.. can be used for stopping bleeding,chaped lips/cuts, leather, in coffee....
Mike in Peru God Bless ya

Semisane,
Surprised you didn't eat the target.
That is great shooting! Did you use lettuce
for patch??:hmm:
snake-eyes

I tried it once but we only have the lowfat varieties around our house so it did not grease it up too well.

Wow, thats my kind of a target and you even used square patches,good shooting. :thumbsup: Dilly

Does this mean when you shoot a deer, you marinade the meat as well? Good thinking. I like when steps are saved on meat preparations. Good shooting, also. Leon

Great shooting & groups. Are you sure you were using Hornady .530 #6100 round balls, your box says Hornady .535 #6110 round balls? :hmm: Just checking so long as you know to get that same great group again with your notes, I know it's just a box...

catman said:
I've been had..and I forgot the day..sorry I've got to go take the hook out of my lip I guess..

Rollover Jack said:
April Fools, Right? :rotf:

:hmm: Actually the joke may be on Semisane...if he thought he was usin .530's an was usin .535's! :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :haha:
but did get peoples attention,(I think it's the bacon bits myself..) :rotf:

as a retired employee of Kraft foods, (28 years) and working in the salad processing dept. I can tell you that there is very little if any olive oil in the 5000 pound batches that I processed.
mostly soybean oil.

TTC

Back