• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Best Forged Screwdrivers You've Seen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I got a purty F& I Bag from David Esau, and I'm in the process of putting in ONLY things I deem necessary. So far, small priming horn, .45 lead balls, homeade vent pick, 4 or 5 flints and small swatches of leather to secure the flints in the lock. I do need a screwdriver to use for this last chore, as well as removing the lock (L & R) on my Lancaster and would really like to have a hand forged PC one (or 2, if necessary.) The slots on all 3 of these screws are rather wide, so I need a craftsman who could create a corresponding piece(s). Anybody out there satisfied with such a tool you may have gotten from just such a craftsman?
Oh yeah, while we're at it, feel free to throw in your 2 cents about what else I might NEED in that bag. As always, THANKS!

Some that I have seen for sale are not high carbon, and often the blade is too crude to be of good use without being reshaped. Find one that is high carbon and heat treated.

John Donelson made me a nice twisted loop handled one that came with my flintlock. He likes to "putz" around on little jobs to relax and may be willing to pound one out for you. I asked to have a 1/16" x 1/16" nick taken out of one side of the blade so I can also use it to "nibble" a fresh edge on flints.

They're pretty easy for a blacksmith to turn out.

mbo44-3bi.gif

(This one from a Muzzle Blasts article by John Woolfolk)

I made mine about 25 years ago from a piece of common keystock I bought at a hardware store. Used a propane torch to heat it, a wrench to twist the square stock to a shape I liked, then whacked one end thin and curled it with a hammer, then finished off the other end as a blade. Sounds hard but it isn't. Took maybe 15 minutes to make and I've used it as my primary pouch turnscrew ever since. I made a few for my friends back then as well.
Seems to me I read the basics in an article in either an old issue of "Buckskin Report" or "Muzzleloader" magazine....It's also detailed in one of the "Book Of Buckskinning" volumes.
Jack

Just made a couple for my Bess out of hex wrenches (Allen Wrench).
Just heated it up with a propane torch, twisted it with pliers to make a barber's pole effect.
On the long end I gently hammered it round to fit the hole in the flint's clamp screw. The other end got hammered flat for the screwdrived to a width to fill them Petrosoli narrow slotted screw heads and used the Dremal to flatten the blade's edge.
Reheated to cherry, ran under cold water, hit it with a course fuzz pad, oiled, and went to a fine fuzz pad.
Heat them black rascals up to "bright cherry" and they'll conform like putty.
Came out not as brittle as originally was but still has a strong temper.
Make my vent picks, burn drills, hooks, etc. all the same way.
I just like to "tinker", sometimes things work out, sometimes I just learn what NOT to do. ::
Took about 20 minutes to make the above mentioned screwdriver/flint tool (was anouther "humm-bum" rainy/windy day).

Forged looking is nice. I think maybe we sometimes get caught up in the idea that everything was "crude" or blacksmith made. Screwdrivers are very common tools and it's likely that many screwdrivers in use by riflemen looked like screwdrivers. Old ones I have seen that are very nice have blades made of flat stock, turned maple handles with a brass ferrule.
e9_2.JPG

I keep a "back-up" screwdriver and pin tool in my tool roll. It's not period correct, but it is easy to stash and handy as h#ll.

The issue disassembly tool from a 1911 pistol. You see them at gun shows for a few bucks.

box.jpg

My Bess had a hole in the top jaw bolt, and the pin on this fit well to tighten the flint. The screwdriver tip fits all the slots on most locks and slotted jaw bolts. The pin will drive out the pins in a stock (in the highly unlikely event you would ever need to do this). I "nicked" the bend at the elbow to use as a flint nibbler.

Hey Marc, I got my driver made at a local fair. $4.00; A little filling,P/C,work,s great. Have you tried a search for black smith, or ferrier ? OR, go to a local fair ,PS is the Eastern States expo still on in Springfield? I was born and raised there. :thumbsup:

Rich, where'd you gat that? It looks like it would be a great addition to a shooting bag

John Donelson made me a nice twisted loop handled one that came with my flintlock. He likes to "putz" around on little jobs to relax and may be willing to pound one out for you. I asked to have a 1/16" x 1/16" nick taken out of one side of the blade so I can also use it to "nibble" a fresh edge on flints.

They're pretty easy for a blacksmith to turn out.

mbo44-3bi.gif

(This one from a Muzzle Blasts article by John Woolfolk)

That looks like the one I've been using in my bag for years, except for the little nibbler notch. That's a good idea Stumpkiller. :thanks: That design is my favorite and still carry it even though I have bought others patterns in years past. You can always find a stick and shove it through the loop when ya need a little extra torque.
Don

Rich, where'd you gat that? It looks like it would be a great addition to a shooting bag

That one's on ebay right now for about $4. Type in "antique screwdriver" and you'll get lots of junk and some good ones.

i see ones like that all the time at flea markets so next time i see one im gonna get it thanks :front:

Back