• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The bar is set high!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
MY Father-in-Law, Dick spent his career as a deer biologist for the USFWS. During his employment he served at the Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge in Southern Illinois. At one point during the late 1960’s or early 1970’s a group dedicated to re-enacting the Louis and Clark Expedition was traveling through the refuge. He was assigned the task of monitoring gate access to the refuge specifically for the expedition. One of the fellows adorned in period dress stopped for a brief time to exchange small talk and thank him for his service to the brigade. As a small token of thanks the fellow pulled a flash hole pick out of the leather strap on his possibles bag and handed it to Dick. He said it was from the time of the revolution. Not being a muzzleloader guy, Dick stuck that pick into his “boonie hat” for the purpose of holding one side of the brim against the crest in a style so commonly seen on that style of hat. Now I can’t say for sure whether that pick is authentic to the time period stated in the story or not, but I can say that I choose to believe it is and I really don’t care who else does or not.

So what’s the big deal? Well, back in the mid 1980’s I had been chasing and catching his daughter (or was she doing the chasing?) all over central Minnesota for a good long while. Being “invited” to the parents for dinner was a something I had not considered since I was not serious about much of anything at that point. I showed up with hair past my shoulders and full beard wearing my US ARMY issued OD green field jacket, torn blue jeans and steel toed redwing boots. On top of that I was riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle!! The look I got could have raised the dead. From that day on for the next several years I got the distinct impression that neither Dick or his wife cared for me at all. Hell, her mother actively worked to chase me off. And frankly I can understand why. You see I was doing my best to be the biggest dirt-bag loser on this side of the mighty miss. Anyways, after a couple of lost years earning the kind of education that can only be achieved through encounters with alcohol, motor vehicles and law enforcement I finally “got it”. I landed a good job at the local airline, got married, bought a house and started to procreate little Archies and Archettes.

All this time, unbeknownst to me, Dick had been living a high standard of ethical behavior. In those early days I viewed this behavior as being stuck up and I resented it. However,like many families we would gather Sunday afternoons for dinner and family time. Dick and I would sit and talk about our separate adventures in deer hunting, guns, how much the Vikings always suck and politics over countless games of cribbage.

Back then I was hunting deer on public land or with who ever had land and an open stand. Dick was hunting with his old USFWS pal on a small 20 acre back yard. Those two guys were managing the herd in that area and took some of the finest racks I have ever seen from Minnesota. All this time my wife Judy had wanted to hunt deer but the extra build-up of testosterone in the camps I hunted in would not allow women in camp under any circumstances. Add to that my displeasure in the massive amount of alcohol being consumed made for an unpleasant and dangerous (IMO) situation. It just happened that about that time the company I worked for plopped a large back-pay check in my lap so the wife and I decided it was time to stop begging for deer hunting spots. We bought 60 acres of thick pine forest land on the iron range in North Central MN. A few years of building stands, cutting brush for shooting lanes and developing a livable camp and we were filling tags pretty well. That’s when I approached Dick, with “hat in hands” asking him for help us in deer and land management. He graciously accepted and for the last 12 years has been the anchor and patriarch of our deer camp and wealth of knowledge to his deer hunting grandchildren, daughter and dirt-bag-loser son-in-law.

Well Dick’s stuck up behavior has slowly disappeared and we have both been rewarded with a mature relationship that has benefited everyone around us through family stability and uncounted pounds of venison. Dick is now 81 and working on his second heart valve which is going to be his demise hopefully later than sooner. I have come to realize something that I never suspected would happen. That sneaky jerk has been mentoring me all along. He has set a standard that I unknowingly have been trying to reach and as far as I can tell have yet come even close to. You see it wasn’t his behavior that has changed, no it was my crappy attitude that has changed and I can blame it all on him.

Like many Sundays the family had gotten together today for dinner. We spent some time playing cribbage and discussing my 21 year old son’s crappy attitude. Then he said; “ You have turned out to be a pretty good son-in-law”. and then handed me that old boony hat with the flash hole pick stuck in the side. “When you build that flinter this might come in handy”.

I was given something today that I consider an honor to have received. An honor that I have not yet earned and I think will be very difficult to live up to.

Thanks for sharing that story. You helped get my day started on the right track.

Fleener

What a great story; thanks for taking the time to set it down. I hope you've told Dick how much you value his wisdom and time spent with you. I'm sure you have. I love to hear about older men who take time to help young men with the difficult job of growing up.

WOW...thanks for sharing...your story is very familiar to me...although much younger than you when I received my epiphany, realizing I actually didn't know everything and that just maybe others may have some more wisdom than I possessed...I actually sought out counsel before making decisions. This was me before the epiphany :yakyak: and afterwards more like this :hmm: By the way, your wife saw this in you well before others did...a good wife is truly to be cherished! :v

:v Thanks for sharing the experience of your growth as a man. With our modern fragmented families the young men seldom get the chance to be led or mentored by the older generations. And as older gentlemen we should try to set the bar high while lending a supporting hand or ear. :v

You seem closer than you think! The rewards of his being with you and his grand children over the years will be a legacy that will live a very long time. Geo. T.

I remember reading once of a man telling how amazed he was at how much smarter his Dad had gotten from his 18th to his 22nd birthday! Course the reality was his dad hadn't changed a lick ,he had grown up is all!
Four years in the service had the same effect on me and your story reminded me of both. Thanks for sharing it. MD

Your confessions give me hope that one day my youngest son will have an awakening of his own. I'll continue praying for him. Thanks for sharing your story. Tell Dick for me "Thanks for being a man of strong character in today's lost world.". :hatsoff:

This post stuck with me all afternoon and I went back and reread it and the additional posts! Man you can write! Not only that but yoy had a story worth telling. I wonder if you have ever thought about addressing a larger reader base.

Beyond that I have been thinking that your father in law gained from your relationship also. I have never met you but your story has tols told me your a quality Man! Thank's again for a real quality post! George T.

Nice story of your maturation through a great family. Never having had a mentor, I can appreciate your story even more.

By my calculation you are due for a midlife crisis. Time to buy another Harley!

Brings me back memories with my father in law. Sadly he was taken away from us much too soon. Embrace this time and let the ole guy know you care before it is too late.
I wish sometimes I had paid better attention to some of the things he was casually trying to show and tell me! Of course back then I was just ignorant enough too think I already knew it all, when in fact I didn't know squat!
In all his time we only had one cross word and that was my fault and once I swallowed my pride I apologized!
Here is too both of you and receiving the benefit of time and wisdom!:hatsoff:

Thanks for the kind words. No more bikes for me, muzzleloaders are much more fun! It only took six tries to get the dog to settle for a minute.
DSCN1732.jpg

pin2.jpg

It is amazing how right about the 40's and early 50's we men start to get it.
I have been looking at my Father and Father in Law the same way.
Family is a Blessing from the Good Lord Above. :thumbsup:

My hope too is my Daughter might get it earlier, but I doubt it. :idunno:

Very nice piece on your maturity! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Cheers, DonK

great story! and it's a small world, my family and I have hunted turkey in the crab orchard NWR for 10+ years now. 3 more weeks to go..

Back