• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

That was easy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josephg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
First ten shots out of my new .58 Hawken rifle. No sight corrections.
50 gr Schuetzen powder. .010 spit patch. CCI #11 caps. .575 RB. No wiping between shots. 50 yards standing.
First three shots went high, nerves.

First time shooting a .58 RB. Pleasant. I love it.

Attachments

• first ten shots.JPG
    first ten shots.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
36 inch 1 1/8 barrel. Rifle at 11 1/2 pounds is like the tail wagging the squirrel. It holds real still. Thet hare trigger helps too.

Looks like it's a shooter for sure! You are a fine free hand shot!
Only 50 grains and PRB is awfully pleasant to shoot. I need to play around with trying to find a nice light plinking load in my .54 Renegade. When I first developed a load for it I started at 60 grains and went up from there, 75 grains is where it really started tightening up. Never have tried lighter than 60 to see if there's accuracy.

Excellent shooting! I think in your previous posts you mentioned that rifle has a Green Mountain barrel, correct? It's great to know that some of the big-bores can be loaded down when needed for pleasant shooting and accuracy.

Good job, Joseph! Thanks for posting!

Notchy Bob

Yes, Green Mountain barrel. I'm impressed too. I was wearing a T shirt and thin overshirt only. Never hurt my arm at all.
It was fun shooting.

Thanks, Notchy Bob.

You're ready to go with that kind of shooting.
I believe I am. That was a very enjoyable shooting session. Target shooting is all I do these days with rifles. Would love to shoot the rifle in a match.
Nothing I know of going on here local. Far as I know, will have to wait till June when the Glasgow MT two day shooting match happens.
When our small bore indoor matches start here in December, will show Bob Bottoms my new rifle. Maybe I can get some interest in starting his matches back up.
I had talked to him on the matter this summer but he was convinced there isn't enough interest anymore. Sad to say.

Joseph, I looked at the list of NMLRA* charter clubs in the current issue of Muzzle Blasts, and found four in Idaho; one each in Meridian, Idaho Falls, Sagle, and Gooding. Idaho is a big state... Don't know if any of those are close to you or not. The NMLRA Idaho State Field Rep is listed as Arnold Burr in Meridian. I'm reluctant to post anyone's personal contact information on the web, but if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll provide his info as shown in the magazine. Mr. Burr could probably advise you of any black powder activity in your part of the state.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

*NMLRA - National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

Last edited:
Joseph, I looked at the list of NMLRA* charter clubs in the current issue of Muzzle Blasts, and found four in Idaho; one each in Meridian, Idaho Falls, Sagle, and Gooding. Idaho is a big state... Don't know if any of those are close to you or not. The NMLRA Idaho State Field Rep is listed as Arnold Burr in Meridian. I'm reluctant to post anyone's personal contact information on the web, but if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll provide his info as shown in the magazine. Mr. Burr could probably advise you of any black powder activity in your part of the state.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

*NMLRA - National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
On page 72 latest issue I see B.P.S.Silhouette matches listed. I know what BPCR silhouette is and have shot matches at Blacks Creek. Don't see anything for Gooding, Idaho Falls or Sagle. Gooding and IF is an easy drive for me. Merdian/Blacks Creek is tough in winter. Sagle, no way.

Are we on the same page?

Last edited:
Back