• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Testing patch lube by breech.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHeath

32 Cal
Reaction score
I would think patch lube softens existing fouling on the patch's way to the breech. In other words the patch pushes existing fouling to the breech, leaving the bore clean ahead of the ball.

As opposed to patch lube softening new fouling as the ball goes out the barrel.

Has anybody done tests by firing a rifle several times, then removing the breech plug, then ramming a patched ball into the muzzle and out the breech, then studying the fouling on the patch. Multiple times, with different lubes to see if "better" lubes function by pushing more fouling ahead during loading.

I would test it myself but am stuck at home for now.

That sounds like a lot of "breech pulling". I'll let others try it.I only remove a breech in extreme situations.

I wouldn't dismantle a valued rifle repeatedly. One of these days I might buy a bare slow twist percussion barrel, clamp it in a vise. Repeatedly fire it using a small hammer instead of installing a lock. Pull the breech plug every three shots, and each time push a prb with a different lube from the muzzle and out the breech. My guess is that examining the unfired patch will show that the lube functions by helping drive previous fouling down to the fresh charge.

Back