• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AxelP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
anyone own a gun from these folks? how was it to work with them? How is the gun? They seem fairly reasonable as far as price--in comparison to a fully custom maker... comments opinions whatever welcome.

cool.gif

AxelP, I've been wondering the same thing. I'm thinking about buying their Tennessee Rifle.

I have never owned one, but have looked at allot of them. From what I have seen of them they are a fair buy for the $ . The best ones I have seen have been at Friendship. Don't know if they save some of the best for there or what, but the ones I have looked at there seem to be a lil better than averabge.

TVM yes thats the company. They seem to be great folks, and I have heard nothing but praise for their service and work.

Axel

I have seen several and they were well made guns and at a good prive. If you are looking to get into a PC type for a given time period take care, as they tend to stretch history a bit when praising the authenticity of their guns.

That's interesting, tg, as historical authenticity is what I'm looking for. I am looking for a rifle much like my Great great grandfather would have carried when the family moved from Wake County, North Carolina to Lincoln County, Tennessee in the mid 1820's (a Tennessee Rifle or a Southern Mountain Rifle). How are they stretching authenticity, if you don't mind telling me?

I believe that the two guns you mentioned are pretty close for that time period, though I think that the Siler lock would be more in line with an earlier gun. but this is minor as an older lock would readily have been use if avalable, My statement was in general and each gun needs to be looked at seperately, Their Lancaster and Early Virginias use Silers also, where an English type lock would be more proper for the Virginia gun and the Tulle info they give is misquoted from the source they mentioned.
This is common with many semi custom makers to utilize the same parts and try to create many different styles from a limited inventory to reach a wider customer base with a little "creative liscence" such as iron furniture on guns of an earlier time that would not likely have had such.Browning of barrels on guns that were made before the process was used, there are a lot of things to look for if you study the originals then compare the replicas. As I said I think the guns you mentioned would be pretty good for the time period you mentioned it is usually the earlier guns that most makers try to incorporate later styles and characteristics when useing a "stock" supply of parts. One just has to do the homework on a given gun and disregard some of the makers claims at times to get the "real McCoy"

I just received two flintlock rifles from TVM signed by Matt Avance. I got an early Lancaster with brass furniture and a 42" Green Mtn barrel. I bought my wife an early Virginia with steel furniture and a 38" swamped Colerain barrel. Both have the top grade maple stocks and are .40 caliber. Debs' barrel has their "aged" look which appears to be very lightly rusted. Her Siler lock and dbl set trigger parts are slightly larger than mine giving it a more pc look.

We were simply blown away by the quality and workmanship. They're so pretty it's shame to have to shoot them. Toni Avance was so helpful during the ordering process that she knew more about what we wanted than we did. I highly recommend this fine American company.

If I remember correctly Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders is a offshoot of Tennessee Valley Manufacturing.
The latter was created and run by Jack Garner (who goes back about as far as the modern love of Blackpowder does) and made stocks, accessories and complete guns. Most of these were Southern style but others were available.
I heard the company got too big for Jack (or he wanted to retire) so he split it into the two companies mentioned above with the TVMuzzleloaders being run by his son and making the rifles while the TVManufacturing continues to make accessories.

IMO the quality of both companies products is very good to excellent.

I own a TVM Southern rifle made by TVM back when Jack and Joyce still ran it. I have owned this gun for about ten years and have hunted with it extensively and have never had a problem. The bore is still as clean as the day I bought the gun and she will put one .50 round ball on top of the last at a hundred yards if I do my part. Jack and Joyce were a pleasure to deal with, I would love to buy another TVM rifle someday!
Mitch Mills

I have a .54 cal., flint, Leman Jack made not too many years before he retired or whatever he did. It's accurate, the lock is very fast, a joy to carry and I love the looks of the maple stock and that reddish finish he used. It is by far the best muzzleloader I've ever owned. I would recommend them highly.

Vic

Back