• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Gun Prices Up?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I check various on-line sites offering guns for sale. Like many others I'm looking for a deal or a hard to find muzzleloader. It's pretty interesting to see how sellers value their wares.

Currently, at Gunbroker, there is a Lyman Trade Rifle with a starting bid price of $2,500, there has been no bidding activity. I asked the seller if the $2,500 might be a typo. I suggesting a more reasonable place to start might be $250, hence my question. The seller politely responded as follows, "Your estimate of value is apprecisted, thank you". The starting bid remains at $2,500, still no bidders.

I get that anyone can ask any price they want for whatever. I've also noticed quite a few guns, many Thompson Center or Lyman marked, are being advertised and some being sold at what I consider exorbitant prices. Have you noticed this trend?

Last edited:
I’ve noticed this trend also with reloading equipment, I just ignore them.

all they need is one guy with 5 highballs under his belt at 2 am to hit the bid or buy it now button and supply his card number.
have seen it happen
I've been that guy, got me a dandy Fenwick trout rod several years ago, $140. Got off the whiskey and went back to beer after that. I now drink tap water. Lol

I check various on-line sites offering guns for sale. Like many others I'm looking for a deal or a hard to find muzzleloader. It's pretty interesting to see how sellers value their wares.

Currently, at Gunbroker, there is a Lyman Trade Rifle with a starting bid price of $2,500, there has been no bidding activity. I asked the seller if the $2,500 might be a typo. I suggesting a more reasonable place to start might be $250, hence my question. The seller politely responded as follows, "Your estimate of value is apprecisted, thank you". The starting bid remains at $2,500, still no bidders.

I get that anyone can ask any price they want for whatever. I've also noticed quite a few guns, many Thompson Center or Lyman marked, are being advertised and some being sold at what I consider exorbitant prices. Have you noticed this trend?
I had the same results. I was looking for another Hawkin rifle not the ones theyare selling now but one that looks similar to a real Hawkin. I never found one but I decided to look at something else. I got sticker shock! The prices in the $1500.00 range? I could buy a nice modern rifle cheaper?

Think the internet has caused some of this. Use to be you advertised what you had local to maybe a couple hundred people, now you put it on the net and a couple million see it. Chances of finding that buyer that's willing to pay top dollar plus is much easier and more people are getting smart to this. The internet is a magical thing, made a lot of people millionaires. Not these one off price gougers, they'll just make a couple extra bucks and put a lot of people off.

A quote I can attribute to John Schippers. Their are 3 prices for everything. There is the price you want to get. There is the price I want to pay and then there is the price we decide I will pay. then I have a fourth price. the I really don't want to sell it like Daryl Crawford

Their are some people who like to brag about spending money, not me but some poeple

I think the prices are the lowest since Covid. Especially on this forum. This place is not the place to sell in my opinion, only buy.

Latest posts

Back