• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TeePee buying advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any Teepee owners buying advice would be appreciated - My friend is looking to buy one and it should be large enough for 6 with fire a pit. What are some of the things to look for that you would have done differently if you had it to do over.

After owning three different sizes (14' to 24') I'm gonna suggest that 18' is optimum size. I like Cheyenne style because of larger flaps to control the smoke/draft best. Spring for the floor too while you're at it....makes it easier to set it up. Liner height needs to be fairly high. An ozan is really nice in colder weather. Learned early on that a small trench from outside into the firepit lined with tin cans of varying sizes (to fit together) is a wonderful thing to provide a draft to the fire and prevent smoke buildup. A small piece of pipe will do the same job even easier. This fresh dirt can easily be covered by the floor and a trench is almost mandatory on the days when the wind is switching around. I realize the flaps are supposed to accomplish this, but you will see from one session how much easier it is done with a draft tunnel to the fire pit.The Tipi is a really comfortable way to spend your time outdoors if you are going to be there for a while. Setup does take time, and effort...sometimes not worth it for a weekend. Be sure you understand the laws of how much overhang you are allowed when transporting it....they vary from state to state and you must conforn to the laws of the state for the license on the vehicle you are transporting with. I suppose you have already figured out how to haul it comfortably. Remember a Tipi looks best if the poles are long enough to form an hourglass....as much pole above the canvas as there is under canvas. I rigged a light bar that would strap to the tips of the poles and carried them butt forward on a full sized pickup. The pickup is roughly 18 feet long....my poles were 38 feet on the biggest Tipi....kinda a sight to see going down the road. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions when you stop for gas or sandwiches....answers like " I use them for bank poles fishing" or "I am the worlds champion javelin tosser" seldom go over well, and you're gonna get lots of "you dont look like no injun" are to be expected. I guess the favorite answer to the question for me was..." raise some of the biggest stick beans and tomatoes you've ever imagined....these are for my garden...." Red flagging is also handy hanging down from the tips when transporting...You'd be surprised how many jerks want to run tight up under the tips at stop signs and traffic lights.

Liver eatin' Johnson Here is a web site about tipi's. They are located out side of Bend, Oregon.
Their name is Nomadics Tipi Makers
Their web address is: www.tipi.com

I hope this information helps you.
Take care, Steve ( Mtn-Man2u ) :)

Greetings and welcome to Nomadics Tipi Makers. Thank you for visiting us.
We have been making tipis for 34 years and we have made more than 18,000 tipis.
We unconditionally guarantee our workmanship / craftsmanship for the life of your teepee.
We offer you 7 different teepee fabrics in both white (natural) and tan (leather color).
Our 18 oz. and 20 oz. All Weather Canvas comes with a 5 year fabric guarantee.
We offer hand painted traditional style artwork. More than 60 designs to choose from.
Tipi sizes are: 12 ft diameter, 14ft., 16ft., 18ft., 20ft., 22ft. and 26ft. plus an 8ft. kids tipi.
We ship most orders in 10 days. All teepee accessories are available. Teepee Poles etc.
Our own 14ft. Ceremonial Tipi
Since our tipis (teepees, tepees) are as authentic as possible in our contemporary world, they bring to the 21st century a "living artifact". They make it possible to experience what a nomadic culture experienced hundreds of years ago. Our tipis (teepees, tepees) are authentic Sioux style to which we have added reinforcing and design variations that are the results of our own tipi living experiences in snow, below zero temperatures, coastal rain forests and hurricane force winds.
Our teepee making is self-styled and integrates our love of the wilderness with rural life and the demands of teepee making. Our workshop is hidden in the quiet seclusion of the forest at the base of the Three Sisters Wilderness Area and our tipis are sewn by local residents in their own homes. We made all leather tipis for Kevin Costner's movie "Dances With Wolves" and Tom Cruise's "The Last Samurai".
Please feel free to call or fax us at 541-389-3980 if you have any questions or would like to order. We will always take the time to help you in whatever way we can. Our office hours are Mo - Fri, 9 am - 4 pm Pacific Coast Time, and our address is 17671 Snow Creek Road, Bend, OR 97701.

Back