• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Seneca

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick rankin

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I read a post a while back where someone re-finished a Seneca and I thought he mentioned he had browned the barrel. How would you brown an already blued barrel. By the way the re-do really looked good.

Dick,I have recently redone my Cherokee(browned all the steel also)and posted some pics a while back.The steel was glass beaded first then I used Danglers cold browning solution.Check the archives and see if you can pull it up.I can't remember the title right off.It was something like "refurbished T/C cherokee" or the sort.Chris

You have to remove the existing blue. Sand it or scotch brite it.
Bead blasting will also work.

Here's Longbow68's Topic.
"Refurbished T/C cherokee"
Topic#228486) Post#655273

Longbow that turned out very nice. Good job. :thumbsup:

If you don't want to put in a lot of elbow grease, or you don't want to change the metal finish itself, you can use Brownell's Steel White to strip bluing. It's the easiest that I've found so far. Once the bluing is gone, you can do any of the rust finishes. I've always thought the Cherokee would look gorgeous rust blued.

I've re-done a number of barrels and parts and have always used Birchwood Casey's Blue and Rust Remover. Have your steel wool ready and follow the instuctions on the bottle. I also like their Plum Brown Barrel Finish.
Regards
Bob

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the ideas. Can't wait to get started. Any thoughts on stripping the original finish off the stock? Also, does that stuff work pretty good on the brass parts to color them dark? Longbow, did you take the rib off the barrel to take the blue off and then add the brown or leave it on? How does the naval jelly work, do you just brush it on and all the blue instantly falls off or does it take several times and some rubbing with steel wool or something like that? Thanks for all the help.

dick rankin said:
Thanks guys, really appreciate all the ideas. Can't wait to get started. Any thoughts on stripping the original finish off the stock? Also, does that stuff work pretty good on the brass parts to color them dark? Longbow, did you take the rib off the barrel to take the blue off and then add the brown or leave it on? How does the naval jelly work, do you just brush it on and all the blue instantly falls off or does it take several times and some rubbing with steel wool or something like that? Thanks for all the help.

Acetone will strip the wood finish. Use it outdoors with rubber gloves. Naval jelly will easily remove the blueing. Just brush/wipe it on and it will most instantly dissolve the finish. Rinse it off with water.
Remove all of the parts from the barrel before browning and work them seperately. There are products available for darkening brass like Birchwood Casey Brass Black. I use a paste of baking soda and water. Just apply the paste to the parts and leave overnight. They will look nicely aged by morning.

HD

Dick,I removed all parts Like HD was refering to.Take your time and you will be pleased with the results.Chris

Back