• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust Bluing setup

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScPiper

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a barrel I am going to need to blue, or brown, in October. I am limited on space due to an apartment, what is a good setup to use that will also be able to support the bluing equipment? I am thinking about doing a method similar to Mark Novak's slow-rust bluing process, but I am unsure how much space and time it will take to properly get the finish applied. I am thinking about using a turkey fryer with a steel pot and a pvc pipe that will allow me to be able to suspend the barrel and let the steam work. how would I go about boiling the part using only a propane burner?

If you use Mark Lee Express Brown and Express Blue #1 all you will need is your kitchen sink, two burners/heating elements on a stove, and a tank like a gutter with sealed ends or an aluminum roasting pan to boil your parts. The brown will require a propane torch or cheapo heat gun and just a dip in warm water to set the finish. If you're in an apartment this is what I would do and the chemicals I would use, skip the sweat box. Look up Mark Lee products (has a website) and read the instructions to see what you think. I have used both express products extensively and an extremely pleased with them.

Laural Mountain browning solution no need for heat just wipe the barrel with acetone and apply put it aside let it rust wipe it down per the instructions great color.
This or Birchwood Casey Plum Brown I have used the Plum Brown with very good success

Put the turkey fryer away and do everything on your stovetop.

Everything will be at a better working height.

And you'll have two burners to generate even heating of the metal downspout.

If all else fails, pour boing water into your bath tub. Or crank your water heater up to scalding temperatures.

Many ways to skin a cat.

I haven't rust blues a barrel yet. However, I plan to use the method below because it apparently works very well. Incredible builders like @davec2 can vouch for it.

Use a capped PVC pipe as longer than the barrel. Put the browned barrel in the pipe. Pour boiling water into the pipe.

It sounds so easy that I could do it!

Here's my high-tech tank - a piece of galvanized fence post with an end cap sealed with high temp silicone gasket material and duct tape. Pour in boiling distilled water and heat with a propane torch to keep it boiling. Works really well. With Mark Lee's Express blue, you have to boil it after every application. With this set-up you don't have to boil a new pot of water every time. Just hit the pipe with the propane torch and it heats up in just a minute.

Attachments​

I use the plastic pipe method with Laurel Mountain Brown along with a rotary carding wheel from Brownell to rust blue and refurbish barrels.

I usually go over the barrel with 0000 wire wool if it is already rusty and then steam it for 10 mins to clean it off and get it warm. I then wipe thinly with browning solution and then let it hang for 45mins or so.

It then goes back in the pipe to steam for 45 mins and then card, wipe down and recoat with browning solution and then hang again. Rince and repeat until you get the depth of colour you want.. Finally coat with old sump oil or plain bearing oil and leave for 24hrs.

Small bits get the same treatment, but get boiled in a pot rather than steamed..

Latest posts

Back