• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken Single Trigger Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkrcpa

32 Cal
Reaction score
Has anybody used the single trigger conversion kit on their Hawken Flintlock and if so, what were the results. Better trigger pull? Worse?

they basically took out one trigger and sold the "kit". look at the trigger plate and the internal side of the plate.
have never tried one. just used the stock triggers singly, ignoring the set trigger.
Indeed, googled and found it. An answer to a misunderstood question??

To create a usable single trigger I think it needs to have the pivot point higher and closer to the sear arm.

they basically took out one trigger and sold the "kit".
Oh yeah, I remember when they offered that.
@rkrcpa there is no advantage, you can do the same thing at home with the trigger you have, just drive the pin out of the rear trigger pivot and remove it. That's what the T/C kit was.
If your having trouble with the set that is in your rifle, describe it, we can help you get that set-up to work like it should.
If it's that you just don't like two triggers then No, there will be no change with the T/C heavy pull of the front trigger alone.
T/C did make single trigger models, and the trigger from those will drop-in, but the trigger cam/sear engagment geometry is the same, no change.

Folks usually want to go the other way, and remove the single too add a double,,

Last edited:
Why would you want to remove the double trigger?
You can fire the gun without using the set trigger.
Is the goal to have heavier trigger pull?

Why would you want to remove the double trigger?
I think he is asking about have a single trigger with a different geometry for a T/C.
And @longcruise gave the right answer, it's just that it's not that easy to do with a T/C.
It's a 1/2" wide mortise that's pretty darn long in the stock. And post 93' models use the trigger guard as an anchor for the tang bolt.

I worked my own single trigger "conversion" by smoothing out the single trigger pull. The basic problem is the coiled sear spring inside a channel cast into the lockplate. It works, but is a mess to smooth out. The coils scrape and bind on the investment cast surface in the hole and T/C put too much pre-load into the coil, I'm guessing to create a super heavy (safe?) single trigger let off. The set trigger lever whacks it a lusty blow so you don't feel the cheap B-B gun workmanship on the sear lever. The sear engagement is generous, also creating a "safe" lock that won't push off. I bobbed off a bit of the sear spring coil and made mine reasonable, but not good. I left it at that as the set trigger conceals all the grinding and clunkiness of the single trigger.

that captured sear spring is the bug a boo in TC locks. i took one of mine apart because that spring was broken.
before i replaced it, i took a pencil, (because none of the polishing bits i had for my "gasp" dremel would reach the housing) chucked the lead end of the pencil in a drill motor and shoved the eraser into the thing, polished out nice and smoothed out the force a bit.

Back in the 70s, when I didn't know squat about how a M/L worked, I had a bad habit of setting the trigger on my Renegade, getting my cold finger on it without knowing and sending a shot somewhere in the vicinity of the whitetail I was trying to kill, never into the whitetail. I didn't know you could adjust a set the trigger back then, none of us new M/L owners had a clue.

I ordered a single trigger conversion kit for my gun and was very happy with it, I quit having negligent discharges.

Had I known anything about set triggers I could have adjusted the "set" part out of range and only used the front trigger.

A lot of us had trouble with set triggers back then and ordered the conversion kits.

Even now I prefer a single trigger on a hunting rifle, I have a Haines rifle I built with set triggers that I never shoot set, the front trigger is a 3# trigger unset so that is all I use hunting. I have a cobbled-up TC Hawkens made from random parts that after polishing the trigger bar and sear to a mirror finish has a 3# unset front trigger (down from 6#) so I never set the trigger to hunt with this gun either.

I don't remember any empty slot for a back trigger, it was more like a Renegade single trigger, the trigger fit in the middle of the trigger guard not forward like a front trigger of a double set, it has been almost 50 years ago, my memory may not be up to snuff.

I don't remember any empty slot for a back trigger, it was more like a Renegade single trigger, the trigger fit in the middle of the trigger guard not forward like a front trigger of a double set, it has been almost 50 years ago, my memory may not be up to snuff.
Never seen what you are describing but have seen a lot of T/C packaging single trigger conversions still sealed up. And all they were was the standard double trigger plate without any of the set trigger parts installed. I was going to go that route for my competition smooth bore but the trigger was atrocious so I went with their renagade hunter trigger and gard and installed a custom trigger blade. And then worked the flintlock and trigger till I got a 2 lb break. Never won any matches ( couldn’t get around the no rear sight thing ) but it sure is fast and clean

Back