• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken Cougar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catof9tails

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I searched past threads for the cougar and found some info about TC making special runs on rifles. And sounded like TC ran the cougar late 80s to early 90s.

Anyhow, Went to a gun show today and ran into this ML with stainless furniture. I'm thinking where in the heck is the blue or the brass? I flip the gun upside down and the fitting looked great. Looked at the butt plate and nice tight fit. Then this old cat looked on the barrel and saw Thompson Center 50. It was then this old cat needed a litter box! Trying to hold in my emotions I asked if I could run a patch down the barrel. The dealer said yes. There was two ML there so I ran patches down both. The other had a GM barrel and the patch showed small rust. The TC had a slight tint of red. I made my offer and told him to think on it. Well, it came home with me.

Anyone know the TC Hawken Cougar 50? This one has a medalion on the stock, stainless furniture, double set trigs, percussion, 28" barrel, maple stock?, unknown rate of twist, and stainless tipped ramrod. Never fired best I can tell and looks brand new. What year was it made? Barrel number is 8848. What's it worth? Is $275 too much? Any info is helpful.
Thanks, Catof9tails

I have a couger and I paid $278.00 for it over 20 years ago. It is selling for around $500.00 to $600.00 now! If it is in great shape. The barrel is 28" and it has a 1-48 twist with a walnut stock. High grade walnut stock. I shoot 70 gr. of 3f black powder with 490 rb. 15 th. patch.
It shoots maxi's well also.
I hope this helps.
Shoot safely! :hatsoff:

Catof9tails said:
I searched past threads for the cougar and found some info about TC making special runs on rifles. And sounded like TC ran the cougar late 80s to early 90s.

Anyhow, Went to a gun show today and ran into this ML with stainless furniture. I'm thinking where in the heck is the blue or the brass? I flip the gun upside down and the fitting looked great. Looked at the butt plate and nice tight fit. Then this old cat looked on the barrel and saw Thompson Center 50. It was then this old cat needed a litter box! Trying to hold in my emotions I asked if I could run a patch down the barrel. The dealer said yes. There was two ML there so I ran patches down both. The other had a GM barrel and the patch showed small rust. The TC had a slight tint of red. I made my offer and told him to think on it. Well, it came home with me.

Anyone know the TC Hawken Cougar 50? This one has a medalion on the stock, stainless furniture, double set trigs, percussion, 28" barrel, maple stock?, unknown rate of twist, and stainless tipped ramrod. Never fired best I can tell and looks brand new. What year was it made? Barrel number is 8848. What's it worth? Is $275 too much? Any info is helpful.
Thanks, Catof9tails
Special runs of 5000 each in '87 and '92....45 & .50cal only.

Highly figured presentation grade American black walnut with a stainless medallion of a Cougar perched on a rock set into the right side of the butt stock.

Non-glare pewter looking stainless lock and furniture, standard 15/16" x 28" x 1:48" Hawken barrel with the additional word 'Cougar' stamped on it, and 4 digit serial numbers.

Other than the stocks being very pretty and of interest due to their eye appeal, they don't have any "collectors value" as such...if it was clean I'd agree $275 was a good buy...I have some, one of which I converted to a Flintlock.

Be aware there are no spare parts available unique to the Cougar like the stainless furniture...the barrel & tang are standard, the trigger asm is standard, all the internal parts of the caplock asm are stadard but the stainless hammer & sideplate would be tough to impossible to replace...the good news is that nothing much ever happens to them...and just as FYI, a standard case colored Hawken caplock asm is the exact same thing if you ever got into a situation where the lock had to be replaced completely.

Most of the Cougars were made before TC introduced the wrist strengthening kit consisting of the long front tang bolt which goes all the way down through the stock, through the trigger plate, and threads into the trigger guard. If it's an exceptional stock, you might want to add that strengthening kit to prevent the stock crack which is not all that uncommon...occurs on the left side of the stock, running 2-3" with the grain above the lock bolt washer forward into the barrel bed on the left side of the tang. (not just Cougars but all Hawkens)

Thanks everyone for the replies. And thank you roundball for the detailed info. Your description is exact to this ML.

This ML looks like it's new just out of the box. I found slight surface rust on the trigger set screw. No rust any place else. I bought this ML to hunt with, I wasn't sure what I bought except it was TC. The lack of brass kinda confused me.

Is there any way to determine the year made? Does TC offer the same lifetime warrenty for the cougars like they do for their other sidelocks? The stock really looks like maple. It's a lighter color than walnut. But it could be the stain they used.

Guess I have too many questions. Hee Hee
Just the Cat

Catof9tails said:
Thanks everyone for the replies. And thank you roundball for the detailed info. Your description is exact to this ML.

This ML looks like it's new just out of the box. I found slight surface rust on the trigger set screw. No rust any place else. I bought this ML to hunt with, I wasn't sure what I bought except it was TC. The lack of brass kinda confused me.

Is there any way to determine the year made? Does TC offer the same lifetime warrenty for the cougars like they do for their other sidelocks? The stock really looks like maple. It's a lighter color than walnut. But it could be the stain they used.

Guess I have too many questions. Hee Hee
Just the Cat
I think the first run ('87) was 5000 .45cals, and the second run ('92) was 5000 .50cals...or, if they did 2500 of each caliber in each run (which I'm pretty sure they did not) with your 8xxx S/N that would still put it in the second run ('92)...so I belive it's safe to assume it's a '92 model either way it went.

Lifetime warranty regardless if original owner...biggest exposure is the stock...if it cracks/breaks so it's unusable, they can't replace it with another Cougar stock as they're out of them...but knowing how TC works, my expectation is that they'd offer you a regular Hawken stock in an attempt to show good faith to their warranty.

I bought a spare Cougar a few years ago even knowing the .45cal barrel had some light freckles in it, just to have a backup stock and hardware parts for my other ones...as it turns out, the .45cal caplock barrel's accuracy is perfect...I just don't use it as I've switched to flinters.

Now go get yourself a deer !
:thumbsup:

[/quote]
roundball said:
Most of the Cougars were made before TC introduced the wrist strengthening kit consisting of the long front tang bolt which goes all the way down through the stock, through the trigger plate, and threads into the trigger guard. If it's an exceptional stock, you might want to add that strengthening kit to prevent the stock crack which is not all that uncommon...occurs on the left side of the stock, running 2-3" with the grain above the lock bolt washer forward into the barrel bed on the left side of the tang. (not just Cougars but all Hawkens)

How does one go about getting one of those kits?

Charles/NM said:
roundball said:
How does one go about getting one of those kits?

Well, first, I called them 'kits' but TC probably doesn't actually think of them as kits...it's simply the following 3 parts:

>> New, long front tang "bolt" (about $2.00)
>> New trigger assembly (about $30.00 I think)
>> New trigger guard (about $48 I think)
As you can see, complete new trigger asm & trigger guard are very expensive items.
Plus the front tang hole and stock have to be drilled through top to bottom with a 1/4" bit.

If you're handy with small tools, this is the alternative I've used a few times now:

1) Ordered the new tang bolt $2.00;

2) Ordered a new trigger "plate" ($11.00)
(re-designed with a pass-through hole drilled through the front of it...you can't simply drill a hole through the old style trigger plate);

3) Ordered new style front trigger spring to go with new style trigger plate ($1.00);

4) Transferred old trigger parts (and new trigger spring) to new trigger "plate";

5) Mount trigger plate and mark the wood through the pass-through hole of the new trigger plate;

6) Remove and set aside the new trigger plate asm;

7) Drill 1/4" hole through the front hole of the steel tang;

8)Continue drilling from the old front tang screw hole down through the stock so it comes out at the marked wood to align with the pass-through hole in the new style trigger plate;

8) Measure, mark, drill, and tap a corresponding threaded seat in the existing trigger guard

Then re-install trigger asm, re-install trigger guard, slide long tang bolt down through newly drilled hole in stock, and screw it into the newly tapped seat on the trigger guard.

Or...send the stock asm to TC and pay them parts and labor to do it all...

Just got one myself, like new in box- and a New in box Gm SS .50 Lrh Barrel to slip into it.
My only Hawken 15/16th- Yet it will be exceptional !

Ps This Cougar Pre dates any info I’ve found- It has the sales Receipt with serial number and the date of… 1984

Last edited:
I have only seen one Cougar here in Southern Idaho. it had a cracked stock and was for sale at 700 dollars. If I ever saw one that was in good shape for 6 or less I would get it.

Neat to go back in time and see prices - $275 all the way up to too much-$1100! Wow what a difference

They are beautiful!

Last edited:
Here Is the one I just got- I’ll receive it next week. In box like new with Receipt that has serial number and Date of 1984 👍
Stainless Gm Lrh .50 will fit in there nicely.

Attachments

• 6DA68329-1971-4AF2-8C7B-7CCDDB83BE01.png
    6DA68329-1971-4AF2-8C7B-7CCDDB83BE01.png
    429.2 KB · Views: 57
  • F1A65221-2783-4004-9C00-EBCE826DCB29.png
    F1A65221-2783-4004-9C00-EBCE826DCB29.png
    271.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Here Is the one I just got- I’ll receive it next week. In box like new with Receipt that has serial number and Date of 1984 👍
Stainless Gm Lrh .50 will fit in there nicely.

That will look super sharp with a stainless barrel.

That will look super sharp with a stainless barrel.

Ya i have mostly Renegades and this will be my only 15/16 Barrel and Hawken stock rifle.
I liked the .45 Gm lrh for my Renegade so much I needed to get one for this beautiful cougar. The Gm is nos in box and the Cougar may be also… if shot, Not more than a few rounds from what I’m told.
I wanted a Silver Elite or Cougar… to go with the Gm 1/28 twist Stainless- Yet I guess the blued barrel Cougar is best as I will have the Original 1/48 to use for prb and Gm for Big ol Bullets.

Last edited:
Back