• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC double set trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl Quidort

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Are the double set triggers on the Thompson Center Hawken and Renegade the same? Are they interchangeable?

Thanks, 2 Tall. I didn't realize TOW had them. Just looked it up in their catalog. Now I'm on the right track. :wink:

Yes they are interchangeable,,
But there's a minor difference in early and late models.
This is a late model set up, 1991 and newer;

Untitled-5.jpg

The Front Tang Bolt goes through the stock,, through the Trigger plate and into the Trigger Guard.

The older models just used two wood screws for the tang.(No Bolt)
The triggers on the older models did not have the hole up front needed for the tang "bolt", :wink:

Well heck Necchi I learned something new. All of the ones I have are just wood screws. Didn't know they made them with tang screws all the way through to the triggers.

Good information, guys. Thanks.

My problem is, the double phase set triggers on my .54 cal TC Hawken act like single phase set triggers. That is, the front trigger won't fire the rifle without setting the back trigger. It seems like the front trigger bar is too short to reach the sear. I have cleaned the lock, and the triggers, real well. I have also tried to adjust the triggers and main spring, without any success. My next idea was to try another trigger.

Maybe someone has a better idea? Thanks for any additional information.

With the lock removed you will see a hole where the sear arm would be located if the lock was in place.

Look into that hole and pull the front trigger.
You should see the front trigger blade rise over half way up that hole. The higher, the better.
It also should be long enough so it sweeps the entire hole. If the rear of the blade is forward in relation to the hole you might be right. Someone may have shortened the blade.

If it doesn't rise at least half way up (as I suspect it won't), find out what's keeping it from doing what it should.

Most likely, there is a piece of wood that is preventing it from moving the full distance.

That could be,
Maybe someone wanted it to act like a single set double trigger and modified it to only work with the triggers set and/or the front trigger lever is broken.

I've run into trigger problems, where the tang screw has compressed the wood, in the trigger inlet. These are usually cut just enough to allow the gun to fire, but over the years, the wood collapses, and the arm won't move enough. And, it's usually at the front of the trigger bar. You can try a washer or other shim, at the front, between the wood and trigger. One of my rifles, has a shim in it.

Thanks, everyone, for your help and information.

The trigger in this rifle had apparently been "messed up". The front trigger blade was filed too low to reach the sear. I used electrical tape to temporarily attach 1/8" of stock on top of the trigger blade and the front trigger would then fire the lock.

I just ordered a replacement trigger from Davis. That should solve the problem and provide a better trigger squeeze than the factory one.

Thanks again, Darryl

Good deal.. Glad ya figured it all out. Where ya from in Michigan I am originally from near Port Huron myself.

Port Huron is getting a ton of lake affect snow today. :surrender:

I'm from right in the center of the LP, near Mt. Pleasant. (We have enough snow for now)

Dowrat said:
Port Huron is getting a ton of lake affect snow today. :surrender:

(We have enough snow for now)

Consider: Snow = water = beer....... :v

:grin: . :grin: . :grin:

Back