• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Cherokee .32....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulis7

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Went to a local smith today looking parts to a rimfire rifle and while I was there I asked if "by chance" he had any .32 or .36 cal ML's for sale.

Well, he had a brand new .32 Cherokee barrel and a used Cherokee stock with a really neglected .45cal barrel installed. $125 later and I was out the door with the .32 Cherokee barrel, stock, ramrod and the .45 barrel.

Got home and checked the .32 barrel, yep very sweet and in pristine condition, minus the rear sight adjustment screw and spring.

Stock is servicable as is, could use a new finish to get rid of the old high gloss coat though. Does has a few minor scratches and two rough spots on each side of the barrel, looks like a improvised sling rubed the wood or it rode in a rifle rack for an extended period of time. Lock insides are great, the hammer shows some wear on the cup lips and could be replaced but appears to be servicable. The tang has some rust but nothing that cant be taken care of with a dremel and some bluing.

As for the .45 barrel, it rough in places on the outside, inside looks somewhat rusty but not to the point of being total junk. So I drop the rod down the tube and notice that its sittin REAL high!

Yep, she's obstructed!!! At present time its sitting in my shed full of oil. Since the nipple is rounded and probably corroded inplace I am considering scrapping the barrel. Not sure whats down the bore, what powder was put in, or how long its been that way. To be honest I am skiddish about trying to pull the load even if I soak it for a week!

Anyway, if I dont get a .45 barrel out of the deal I am still pleased with the brand new .32 Barrel. Once I finish the stock and get some .32 do-dads I will see how she shoots.

Regulis7

I had a .32 Cherokee when they first came out, I regret selling it to this day...

I wished they offered that in a flint version...

Most info I see for loads in a .32 are 10gr to 25gr using FFFg and .310/.315 ball and patch.

My TC Sidelock owners manual list the Cherokee/Seneca .32 loads at 30gr FFFg to 50gr (max) FFFg with a .315 ball and patch.

How small of a load can be fired in the Seneca barrel? Does TC rate the bottom end load at 30gr to ensure the chamber has no air space or is the listing just optimum loads developed at the factory?

In other .32cal rifles I see the bottom end loads are 10gr FFFg while top end is at 25gr FFFg.

Regulis7

MM, I've got...well, my wife has a .32 Cherokee that she bought about 15 years ago. She shot it a little and I've even fired it a few times, it's hard for me to load with big hands. I got it out the other day and looked it over. A few spots of rust here and there from being put up in a closet, but otherwise like new. I've been thinkin' of taking her out. The wife says she might like to shoot it again. The one thing I really don't like is that coil-spring lock. And the gun...eet's soo leeetle! ::

II really like th .32. Great fer the squirrlys and g hogs.
sure take some used to though......No Punch in the shoulder and ya sure dont need ear cups....sounds sorta like a cap gun here in the Mountains.(West By God Virginia)

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

In some of these deep hollers in my area, a .22 can sound like a 12 pounder! It's been so long since I've shot that Cherokee I've forgotten what it sounds like. ::

Latest posts

Back