• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC .50 Hawkins nipple removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just purchased a TC .50 Cal Hawkens muzzleloader today that is in pretty good shape. Brought it home and wanted to clean it so I tried to remove the nipple and it won't budge. any ideas on how to remove it???????????? It is soaking in rust remover as I type this.

Just purchased a TC .50 Cal Hawkens muzzleloader today that is in pretty good shape. Brought it home and wanted to clean it so I tried to remove the nipple and it won't budge. any ideas on how to remove it???????????? It is soaking in rust remover as I type this.
That’ll take care of the bluing at the same time…

danger! will robinson! yeah RR will give you a mottled bluing job.
first make sure there isn't a charge snuggled in the barrel someone forgot about. because of lack of any information as to your over all knowledge of caplocks, i am going to presume to tell you how to check for a charge.
drop your ram rod down the bore and mark the rod flush to the muzzle.
take it out and lay it along the barrel with the mark still at the flat of the muzzle. the end away from the muzzle should be very close to 1/2 to 3/4 ahead of your nipple due to the patented breech of the TC.
or run a bore scope down and look see.
if you are certain it is unloaded plug the nipple and pour a couple tablespoons full of ballistol or transmission fluid, or penetrating oil down the bore. let it sit a couple days and come back here and there will be 5-6 pages of other methods .

after a couple days soak, use a good tight fitting nipple wrench the type with a hardened rod rod through it for a handle and after a few light taps on the end of the wrench with a hammer the nipple will come right out. Or break off. i have never had one break but had to throw that in.
if it did break off that would be good for another 5-6 pages of remedies!
best of luck.

I have checked to make sure it is empty and will try your remedy. I screwed up and made 2 posts.
I have another muzzleloader that I hunt with but never had a Thompson Center. Thanks for the info

I used penetrating spray on it , don't know why I typed rust remover

Last edited:
@deerstalkert, you and I use the same process. I offered my version in @MTFURY's duplicate post.
maybe it's the right method then! :D :D
I have checked to make sure it is empty and will try your remedy. I screwed up and made 2 posts.
I have another muzzleloader that I hunt with but never had a Thompson Contender. Thanks for the info

I used penetrating spray on it , don't know why I typed rust remover
whew! you dodged the bullet(pun intended) there!.
not to pick nits, but a contender is a completely different animal than a Hawken. just a misspeak i am sure!:ghostly:

Back