• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taylor Uberti better than Uberti?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny my new 1861 Uberti Navy that I purchased from MidwayUSA came in a Taylor box and nice cloth pouch. I also asked EMF what the difference between purchasing from them and others and she told me by email that they back their product after purchase will most others do not. So if that is important to you then may the extra $ to Cimmaron, Taylor and EMF. If not then Midway is the way to go.
EMF, Cimarron, Dixie Gun Works, Stoeger and Taylor's are importers. Midway is just a reseller.

Okay. Your point being?
Point being that resellers can't do anything about issues after the sale. That's on the manufacturer or importer. So the fact that EMF honors warranty claims but Midway won't doesn't really mean anything.

My Midway Uberti had to go to Stoeger for a looksee at a defect in manufacturing. I always thought that Taylor's offerings were more money because they put some of the clean up work into the guns they sold.

My experience with 45D was he built me a couple of 1861 Armies that are rock solid. I have purposefully tried to cap jam them and at after a total of over 1000 rounds they are still running perfectly with no cap jams or other trouble.

I have five open top revolvers he has done for me .One is an 1851 Navy with an adjustable trigger and an unbreakable bolt spring.
No excitement they just work.
He is a one man shop so it takes a while but I THINK result is worth the wait.
Held center
Hit it!
Naturally
Bunk

Reactions: 45D
My experience with 45D was he built me a couple of 1861 Armies that are rock solid. I have purposefully tried to cap jam them and at after a total of over 1000 rounds they are still running perfectly with no cap jams or other trouble.

I have five open top revolvers he has done for me .One is an 1851 Navy with an adjustable trigger and an unbreakable bolt spring.
Held center
Hit it!
Naturally
Bunk
just think @#$%^ caps key
Bunk

Held center
Hit it!
Naturally
Bunk

Bunk, thanks so much !! I really appreciate the compliments and glad they are doing what they're supposed to be doing!!! It's been a long time (!!) and things were "new" back then lol!!
Holler if ya need me !!

Mike

Held center
Hit it!
Naturally
Bunk
that is a pair of 1860 Army revolvers. I not only can't type proof reading is also beyond me.
Bunk

I am new to Black Powder revolvers and planning on a collection of Colt replicas. I received 5 new Ubertis from Midway since November
- The first two: Walker & Whitney were defective and returned to Midway
- The Walker was credited as no replacement was available. The Whitney was replaced.
- The replacement Whitney was defective and had to go to Uberti repait for 7-8 weeks. Midway refused the return
- The 1861 Navy Revolver seems fine
- The 1862 Pocket Navy was defective and off to Uberti repair for a visit it went. Midway refused the return.
In essence, five received, four defective (80%). I have never experienced such quality problems with firearms.
I beleive Taylor inspects their Uberti revolvers. I guess paying a bit more upfront may be worth it, or is this endemic to Uberti?

Last edited:
Could be why buyers and posters claim Italian repo's bought at places like Midway/Cabela's etc seem 2nd grade, doubt if they even take em out of the boxes upon receipt.
The way I see it Midway/Cabelas is not an importer so they receive their stock from Cimarron, Taylor’s etc. which are, the importers are the ones receiving some with issues and being sent to Midway.

Last edited:
I am new to Black Powder revolvers and planning on a collection of Colt replicas. I received 5 new Ubertis from Midway since November
- The Walker was credited as no replacement was available. The Whitney was replaced.
- The replacement Whitney was defective and had to go to Uberti repait for 7-8 weeks. Midway refused the return
- The 1862 Pocket Navy was defective and off to Uberti repair for a visit it went. Midway refused the return.
In essence, five received, four defective (80%). I have never experienced such quality problems with firearms.
I beleive Taylor inspects their Uberti revolvers. I guess paying a bit more upfront may be worth it, or is this endemic to Uberti?

What were the "defects" in them?

Mike

Four out of five raises an eyebrow for me. Also wondering what those defects were. I have 37 Uberti's and have only ever had to return one, which was a Cimarron.

No importer is taking the time to inspect guns coming from Italy.

What were the "defects" in them?

Mike
Firing trigger mechanism mainly, half cock pb or indexing problem, one impossible to remove barrel, one stuck cylinder. All quality issues which may be mitigated with a decent final product QC.

Ditto. Actually, it is appauling but documented.
I started off a collection of Uberi Colt replicas. My above post is what I have experienced.

I find 4 out 5 defective hard to believe
Guns done in batches at Uberti? Maybe the inspector was slacking or rushed on that batch. The way international shipping has been for the last few years maybe they had a shipment that needed to be on a container ship RFN. That is all I can think of.

The pistols that were marketed by the Historical Society, (don't recall the exact name) were polished and primped and plated and up-graded to the nth degree! An example I have of the 1863 M60 Colt, Gettysburg commemorative, has really nice fancy figured wood grips and gold-plating markings. So it is possible for them to make, at request of an importer, really shined-up revolvers! More work=more money.

Going forward, can you recommend a gunsmith who can take my Uberis and make sure they are well "tuned" and functional?
The last one I returned has issues being half cocked and when full cocked you could not ride the hammer back down because it would catch half way - it had to be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back