• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target Load for PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrydull

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for reading my post!

I've got a P58 Enfield that I just started to shoot Minnie's out of. Only been shooting a ML for about a year.

The local club only allows PRB for their monthly shoots ... so I bought some Hornaby swaged 0.570 rb with 0.01 lubed patches.

The balls are about 228 grains ... about half of my minnies. I normally shoot 60 g of BP ... but I didn't think cutting the BP charge in half would be a good idea.

Any suggestions on a proper BP load?

That cannot be answered from the keyboard. Some might advise what has worked for them. But, really, only you can answer your own question. Get extra ball and powder, go to the range and shoot. Methinks, the 60 gr. charge is about where you will end up for that 'sweet spot' target load. But that's a gut inspired guess. When you find it, tell us what you figured out.

Terry - welcome to the forum, figuring out the best load for your Enfield will be great fun. I expect, if your rifle was made by Armisport or Euroarms you will find it shoots best with thicker patching (.018 - .020) and a .575 round ball, bores on most of these rifles tend to be larger. My P53 Armi Enfield held decent groups at 50 yards with .018 pillow ticking lubed with bore butter, a .575 cast ball, and 55 grs. of GOEX FFg, the rifle has a terrible trigger pull and I only fired it off the bench, and I have not fired it in two-three years. Never could get it to shoot minis with any accuracy.

Check you ball weight, if they weigh 228 grs you probably have .530's or .535's, I think my cast .570's weigh about 275 grs.

will5a1 said:
... Euroarms you will find it shoots best with thicker patching (.018 - .020) and a .575 round ball, bores on most of these rifles tend to be larger. My P53 Armi Enfield held decent groups at 50 yards with .018 pillow ticking lubed with bore butter, a .575 cast ball, and 55 grs. of GOEX FFg, the rifle has a terrible trigger pull and I only fired it off the bench,
Check you ball weight, if they weigh 228 grs you probably have .530's or .535's, I think my cast .570's weigh about 275 grs.

WOW! Great Info! Thx!

I got Hornady "Swaged" .570 rb ... I will weight them as you suggest to double check the posted wt of 228 grains. I have a Euroarms P58 (1:66 twist) with a bore of 0.582 ... I'm using 0.015 lubed patches. If I find this to be fun (I think I will), I will get a rb mold for 0.575.

I have not done anything to this Enfield except raise the sights a bit and adjust the trigger pull to 3.5 lbs. It can shoot "Old Style" minnies in a 2-1/4" group from the bench. I also have a P53 Euroarms that I'm working on right now that has a custom Hoyt barrel. Also adjusted trigger pull on this one too. Looking forward to shooting it.

I'm going to the rb club on Dec 13th so I really appreciate your input.

Question: I want to shoot Silhouette Matches at Friendship in June. Are you familiar? The say "any rifle with open sights ... loaded with a prb". Any sugestions as to a rifle? Metal Targets are at 50,100, 150, 175, and 200 yds.

Thanks for your help!
Terry

Terry - I can't speak to the match you mention, there are so many different matches I don't known one from the other. I do know that there are some guys shooting .58's at distance, your Hoyt barreled rifle should be just the ticket. Best of luck in your upcoming club shoot and keep us posted on how well you do and your progress.

I hope to have the time to shoot my P53 and original 1861 when I retire, so I'll look forward to your experiences.

Back