• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tapping question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldhunter

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen this done on many guns, on the patch boxes, tangs, and toe plates.

How do you start a screw or start a tap to make it so that the slot in the screw or bolt head lines up perpendicular to the barrel?

If this topic is too in depth for a written answer, is there a particular book or video that shows this procedure in great detail?

Thanks

If its a bit off, counter sink it a wee bit at a time untill it lines up proper. On side plates sometimes its just inletting a frogs hair more. :thumbsup:

Do you mean parallel w/ the barrel? If so, the depth of the countersink in the metal determines the position of the screw slot. Trying to force a wood screw to "line up" the slot could result in a stripped thread. Whether it's a wood screw or tang bolt screwed into the trigger plate, the screw should be tightened and then the countersink depth is increased to rotate the slot to the desired position......Fred

Roger, I meant parallel. :redface: But I've seen some the other way. I think parallel looks cleaner.

Thank for the info. :bow: I didn't even think of adjusting inlet/countersink depth.

If you have a little extra money around, just buy 4 or 5 screws instead of one.
Chanches are that one of the screws will line up just like you want it to.

You can chuck the screw upside down in the drill press and trim the countersink portion with a file too. Some screws when manufactured have a burr on that portion of the screw, and I usually have to file it off anyway, just tought I'd throw that one into the ring........George F.

I just play around with the countersink until it lines up.

I was staying in a condo in FL this winter and the electricians had lined up every screw North and South on every switchplate and outlet in the house. Very impressive and I was probably the only one who noticed it or cared.

There used to be a Guideboat builder up by Long Lake, NY who demanded that every screw in every boat that came out of his shop had the slot parallel to the bottom board. We're talking about 2500+ screws per boat here! I tried on my last boat but gave it up after a couple of hundred.

Dick

I have driven thousands of screws----- and every one for the last 65 yrs have lined up some way or other, including switch plates, door hinges butt plates,etc. Just practice--practice--practice. I don't even have to try any more. My Dad told me when I was very small that a man who wouldn't line up his screws wasen't much of a craftsman,which he sure was. :v

Back