• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tap or not (powder measure)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Tap or not to Tap (powder measuring)

• Tap

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • No Tap

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • Weigh

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
I'm a tapper 7:doh: times every time then 3 raps on the stock to settle the powder in the barrel. It doesn't matter what you do just do it Every time the same way every time :horseback:
if you tap it more than twice, you are playing with it!:ghostly:
fascinating discussion, But I returned to full time Black powder shooting (haven't shot any unmentionable except a 20 ga in a year) because i don't have to agonize over .10 th's of a grain in my loading. i want to simplify my life and just enjoy the smoke. ymmv

For my competition ammo, I first establish the best, most accurate load. When going to production, I use a Lyman 55 with a knocker. I'll " knock" each time before throwing the charge. I'll weigh every tenth one as a spot check. This method drops remarkably consistent charges and consistency is King in competition

Hanshi don't tap. I just never weigh a powder charge when working up a load; after getting the load I will sometimes weigh that charge merely for curiosity's sake. I've found more variation in velocities simply by changing patch thickness & material than by minor differences in powder measures or measuring methods.

Type of lube on the patch can change things quite a bit on the target, as well as how much pressure or lack there of is applied when seating the ball. Probably those two affect things as much as the grain or so of powder variation thrown in the measure.
I have a Ted Cash measure that I really like , but I also have a measure made by that famous ol smith, named T A Iiwan that sold a lot of products thru Kmart , both measures are older than a lot of the folks around here.. The interesting thing is as far as the settings on the stem that T A Iwan measure throws exactly when using most lots of regular Goex 2 f beginning with the Moosic and Belin production to exactly what the scale say it weighs. The Cash one is off just a bit but still good enough to win a round ball match.

The way I shoot anymore tapping on not consistently won't matter much 😅. When I was loading for NRA High Power I weighed every thrown charge and all that other exacting preparation required to get the best at 600 yds.. Now I love just throwing powder in the measure, down the barrel and having fun.

Hanshi don't tap. I just never weigh a powder charge when working up a load; after getting the load I will sometimes weigh that charge merely for curiosity's sake. I've found more variation in velocities simply by changing patch thickness & material than by minor differences in powder measures or measuring methods.

X2 on those lube and patch variations. I once compared a tc Hawken 54 28" bbl to a GPR 54 32" bbl over a chronograph. Same day, same chronograph, same balls, same patch, same lube. The 28" bbl shot just over 75 fps faster. The only observable difference was that the tc barrel was tighter.

Latest posts

Back