• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang repair/replacement?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtothis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi guys. IV been away for a rather long time, but looking at my rifle hanging on the wall Got me thinking. I stopped shooting muzzle loaders because I broke the tang of my old rifle off at the screw hole. Unfortunately I'm out of town for work and don't have pics at the moment... the rifle is an old not particularly well built 37 caliber from an unknown builder. It's not much but it has killed a few tree rats. I'd love to get it back into working order. Are there any reccomendations for someone who could make the repair for me? I have a smith for modern arms but he doesn't want to mess with it. Thanks guys, looking forward to smoking some more limb bacon this fall!!!

newtothis said:
Are there any reccomendations for someone who could make the repair for me?

If you want recommendations for someone who could make the repair
If you want it local, where is local?
If you want to pack it all up and send it off, the smith I use does that.

William Alexander

small flatbar piece under it, clamp, drill n tap the pieces together, there isn't any real pressure on this part, 4 small 8-32 bolts will hold it.

or weld as the other fellows suggested~

tomtom n marc

Or, take it to a shop that does welding and have them braze the piece back onto the tang using a brass brazing rod for filler.

Yes, it will leave a visible line of brass on the joint.

Why would ole Zonie suggest such a radical thing?

This has been a common method of repair for gun parts like tangs for over 100 years.

I keep seeing people who want to have their guns "look aged". They go to all sorts of extremes using mustard, vinegar, battery acid and bleach to make their guns look old.

What could be more authentic than a nice brazed repair? :hmm:

Ugh, I've seen the same original repairs as well right along with bailing wire,brass pins, leather and smoke stack tin sleeves, cracks packed with wood filler chalking ,etc.
I remember having to clean out the brazing on a broken lower tang one time on a Low Wall action so it could be TIG welded with steel filler rod for re-bluing. Man what a job that was to make look original.
The moral being if you ever plan on repairing it to original don't braze.

Latest posts

Back