• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tallow substitute

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike,

I can't be certain, but I would say you probably have a lot of options. I use tallow as a lubricant. The real thing still works. Mutton tallow seems a little softer than beef tallow, in my experience, but beef tallow may be easier to get. A rancher who sells beef at the local farmers' market also makes and sells beef tallow. I bought a one-pound tub of it from him last year and just used it a couple of days ago to lube some patches and felt wads, but I haven't been to the range with them yet.

In my own experience with tallow, it is maybe about the consistency of hard butter... Firm and brittle when refrigerated, softer but not runny at room temperature. Even stored out in my shed, on hot days it never melts to the point of being runny. It has to get much hotter for that. If it is too soft, you can melt it in a double boiler and mix in some beeswax to stiffen it. I made some buffalo (bison) tallow a couple months ago and mixed it 80/20 with beeswax, and found it was too stiff. It would probably make good candles! This was from kidney fat, or suet, which I now know yields harder tallow than body fat. I could probably soften it by re-melting and mixing in some sweet oil, but I haven't done it yet.

Anyway, to simulate tallow, I would think any animal-based grease about the consistency of butter or maybe a bit stiffer would do the trick. For my own purposes, though, I just use tallow, the real thing. You can find it on line by searching "tallow for sale," but it isn't hard to make your own. Ask for suet or fat trimmings from the meat department in your local supermarket. Put it in a pan in the oven at about 245 degrees for an hour or so, and pour it through a metal strainer into a can.

I didn't formally measure or weigh it, but would estimate getting better than 75%-80% of the weight of the suet (kidney fat) in pure tallow. Maybe a little less with body fat, but it has been a long time since I made any of that.

I bought buffalo suet from Wild Idea Buffalo Co. In response to a query, I found Buffalo Gal also sells it, but they don't list it on their website. You have to ask, and they'll quote you a price.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Mike,

I can't be certain, but I would say you probably have a lot of options. I use tallow as a lubricant. The real thing still works. Mutton tallow seems a little softer than beef tallow, in my experience, but beef tallow may be easier to get. A rancher who sells beef at the local farmers' market also makes and sells beef tallow. I bought a one-pound tub of it from him last year and just used it a couple of days ago to lube some patches and felt wads, but I haven't been to the range with them yet.

In my own experience with tallow, it is maybe about the consistency of hard butter... Firm and brittle when refrigerated, softer but not runny at room temperature. Even stored out in my shed, on hot days it never melts to the point of being runny. It has to get much hotter for that. If it is too soft, you can melt it in a double boiler and mix in some beeswax to stiffen it. I made some buffalo (bison) tallow a couple months ago and mixed it 80/20 with beeswax, and found it was too stiff. It would probably make good candles! This was from kidney fat, or suet, which I now know yields harder tallow than body fat. I could probably soften it by re-melting and mixing in some sweet oil, but I haven't done it yet.

Anyway, to simulate tallow, I would think any animal-based grease about the consistency of butter or maybe a bit stiffer would do the trick. For my own purposes, though, I just use tallow, the real thing. You can find it on line by searching "tallow for sale," but it isn't hard to make your own. Ask for suet or fat trimmings from the meat department in your local supermarket. Put it in a pan in the oven at about 245 degrees for an hour or so, and pour it through a metal strainer into a can.

I didn't formally measure or weigh it, but would estimate getting better than 75%-80% of the weight of the suet (kidney fat) in pure tallow. Maybe a little less with body fat, but it has been a long time since I made any of that.

I bought buffalo suet from Wild Idea Buffalo Co. In response to a query, I found Buffalo Gal also sells it, but they don't list it on their website. You have to ask, and they'll quote you a price.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I can get suet at my local farmers market so I'll give that a try.

Mike

with easter near contact a butcher for lamb/sheep tallow the shop near dixon's keeps it in their freezer(just make sure it's salt free)

I am making paper cartridges for my P53 and tallow is used for lube. What is a good substitute for tallow for this application?

Thanks

Mike
Personally have tried rendered lamb fat (the bride loves lamb chops), but long term it doesn’t compare to mutton tallow. I keep a few pounds of mutton tallow on hand that I order from Durofelt when it’s in stock. Good people to deal with. There are other sources, just who I deal with. Getting ready to mix up a batch of lube in the very near future. Best to order ahead when available. Duro-Felt Products

Go to amazon and type in "beef tallow" .

It is also excellent for seasoning cast iron pans and cooking steaks.

They have lamb tallow, leaf lard and many others that may be useful.

What's the difference between tallow and lard?
I believe the term, "lard" now generally applies only to rendered fat from hogs, although I have seen "bear lard" mentioned in the period literature. "Tallow" is a more generic term for fat rendered from other animals. Tallow and lard are essentially the same thing, just from different critters.

Maybe lard comes from carnivores and omnivores, and tallow from vegetarian animals (?). Just speculation on my part. Never thought much about it before.

Notchy Bob

I always thought it had to do with the consistency when cool, lard is sticky, gooey stuff where as tallow is firmer, think old-fashioned tallow candles vs crisco shortening.

I like the idea of tallow as a patch lube. Melting it and dunking the patches is to much lube. I'd like to find an emulsifier that allows be to have much less tallow. Much like the ballistol and water dry patch method. I have used charcoal lighter but, I'd prefer something water based. I have some deer tallow I rendered. IT is very hard and waxy. I'd like to experiment with it. Any ideas on a workable emulsifier?

When I first got into muzzle loading round balls ( Thanks Jeremiah ) I had a conversation with my maternal grandfather who had first hand experience on how things were done in the old days. He and his brothers were market hunters in their youth and had grown up with black powder firearms. I asked Grandad what patch lube was used back then and he said "mutton tallow". I have been using mutton tallow almost exclusively for some time and its great, greasy, slippery stuff.

What's the difference between tallow and lard?
At room temp or temps we are usually active in lard is a little softer than tallow.
As I recall the Brits used mutton tallow in India. Beef tallow was forbidden to Hindus and lard to Muslims, both of whom were parts of the British army. Mutton was acceptable to both.
Goat tallow was also common at this time and I’m thinking I read fish oil got on India cartridges out of greasy South African salt fish

Back