• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taking ML into Canada

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoung14

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone know what the requirements are for taking a muzzleloader into Canada from the US? Are they the same as for a cartridge gun? Might want to bring one along on a fishing trip to Quebec.

How about powder, ball and caps?

Links to regs?

Thanks.
Bob

short_start said:
Anyone know what the requirements are for taking a muzzleloader into Canada from the US? Are they the same as for a cartridge gun? Might want to bring one along on a fishing trip to Quebec.

How about powder, ball and caps?

Links to regs?

Thanks.
Bob

You will have to license it if a long gun. Handguns are another matter I would not even try this.
BE SURE you stop at US Customs on the way out and get a form filled out or you may not get it back in from Canada.
Think its 25 bucks for the short term one. Can put more than one gun on it.

Dan

Check this link:http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/antique_e.asp

Note that percussion arms are treated as licensable firearms.

short_start said:
It would be a long gun. I know how they are up there about handguns.
How are they about handguns? :rotf:
Your taking along a gun on a fishing trip?Have you checked ahead about Regulations and seasons?You know ,things of that nature.I suppose you have a guide?

When I was a young fella I used to take a fishing pole on a fishing trip.... :blah:

Fishing poles will be taken. If a gun can't be taken up except for some hunting season, I'd probably leave it at home. That's why I'm asking.

A little plinking or a woods walk when the fish aren't biting would be enjoyable.

I can just email the outfitter I guess.

If it's ok with the outfitter.I would imagine it would be ok at the Border as long as the proper paper work is all done.I know a couple of Americans that hunt up here every year and they have no problems with Guns coming and going.
I'm thinking you'd need you outfitter to get you some Black Powder up here somewhere.Pretty sure transporting BP across is a no-no.
I know a guy from Quebec....His name is Guy...He likes to fish...if you see him Tell him H-Tail and the Family says Hi!

You will have to license it if a long gun. Handguns are another matter I would not even try this.
BE SURE you stop at US Customs on the way out and get a form filled out or you may not get it back in from Canada.
Think its 25 bucks for the short term one. Can put more than one gun on it.

It's not a problem, if you're in a hunting season. Not sure for fishing, but it does say something about bringing protection. As for powder, the regs say it in kg's, which equates to about 17 lbs. of powder! Cap locks are viewed as center fires. I bring flintlocks and they could care less. The form to fill in AND NOT SIGN UNTIL THERE is #707, I believe. Overall, it's not a problem, but check w/ the guide.

Looks like I may finally have a practical reason to buy a flinter.

Glad I started this early.

Every year sombody tries to take a hand gun into Canada, and they get caught, and they pay, BIG TIME !
Taking a firearm of any kind into a game area, requires a valid, hunting license.
Wildlife control officers, are rather strict, with firearms, outside hunting season, with reason.
So a firearm, during fishing season, is looking for trouble.
Target shooting at a range, no problem.
An alien, with a cartridge gun, percussion, or flint, you are just asking for problems.
Many Americans travel back and forth to shooting competions, without any complications.
On the side of the road, banging away, on public property, or private property,is just begging for trouble.
Quebec game wardens are well known for seizing all and any property associated to poaching.
So if hunting season is not open, I would suggest leaving the gun at home.
Old Ford

:v My last trip into Canada was in September to hunt moose. Paid the required fee of $25 with the form and no problem. Took all of fifteen minutes.
I believe that the limits on Bp, and caps would be the same as for cartridge guns, 100 rounds or less per gun. But they did not ask.
They do ask for your purpose of the visit and as if it is for hunting,they will ask for the name and location of the outfitter. Follow the rules and it will be a pleasant experience. Don't even look like you are thinking of bringing a handgun as you will be arrested, when you are at the Canadian entry post you are in Canada.I have seen the air-cleaner housing searched, they can be very thorough, they are doing thier job!
Bringing in a firearm for a fishing trip may well bring you grief as in Canada you do not have the right to use deadly force for "personal protection". Hunting or a formal competion event are the only valid reasons for a non-resident to posess a firearm.
The fishing up there is great and they are large but the fish don't require shooting. Have a great trip! :v

Back about 10 or 12 years ago I made a long canoe/fishing trip in Ontario. It was just me and my dog, way back of beyond. I finally came upon a logging operation and decided to hitch a ride back to town with one of the loggers.

He was actually shocked and amazed that I did not have at least a shotgun with me for protection from bears. He said that he wouldn't even dream of going where I had been without a gun.
In fact I had had a problem with a bear one night, and sure did wish I had a gun. Only my dog barking and me banging pots together eventually scared off the bear.

Before the passage of C-68 more than a decade ago Canada didn't get all too upset about a visitor bringing in a long arm. My old professor would go camping with his family for a month in Quebec and had a 303 British as his bear protection. It has changed a bit after the passage of that regulation.

Well....this is sad. It seems like the presumption of guilt and the notion that guns are evil have both been institutionalized in Canada. Even Old Ford sounds sympathetic to that view.

My earlier trips were all well over 10 years ago and no firearms were taken. There were times when it would've been nice to have at least a .22 RF. Big Porkies were destructive pests and weren't easily discouraged. But maybe Porcupines have rights now too.

Guess the guns will stay at home. If it weren't for others looking forward to this trip, I probably would too.
Bob

You have to remember that you're going to another country. I don't think you'd be considering taking your guns to England if that were the case. Different country, different laws. It's that simple.

short_start said:
Looks like I may finally have a practical reason to buy a flinter.

Glad I started this early.

When I took my flinter to AK it was put on the license at the border by Canadian Customs (Sweetgrass) like the modern rifle I had along.
This was 2007. They did not mention it not having a serial number but I will likely put one on before next time. Never asked about ammo. But this can vary from time to time I suppose.
I put it on the US form as well when taking it out.
Its a lot more serious than it used to be at the border crossings. I suspect that this is partly because our border to the south is like a sieve.
Dan

I went up to Ontario in 2005 for a muzzleloading competition. I took four rifles & a couple of handguns without any problems. Had to get the licence paperwork done beforehand, so allow time for that. Each Province has its own requirements & if you will be visiting more than one, you'll need a licence from each. I also took all my black powder, caps & balls, etc with me. The only delay at the border was the Customs people deciding whether or not we should be paying a fee for the licence, as they thought muzzleloaders should have been exempt. All in all not a too painful experience......Australia, on the other hand, you need a permit to get the guns out of the country, too!!!

short_start said:
Well....this is sad. It seems like the presumption of guilt and the notion that guns are evil have both been institutionalized in Canada.

. But maybe Porcupines have rights now too.

Guess the guns will stay at home. If it weren't for others looking forward to this trip, I probably would too.
Bob

If you stayed home I'm sure all of Canada would be Heart Broken.... :blah: :rotf:

Back