• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tactical Muzzleloading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll do my own thing. I don't care about organized black rifle stuff. Again my useage of the word tactical is accurate as in using tactics. Tactical to me does not mean bi-pods and looks. Lol

The problem I think is you are applying a modern set of parameters on a hypothetical situation..., but you have not extrapolated the WHY that resulted in modern "run and gun" tactics.

Modern, fire and maneuver tactics were developed because the modern firearms exist. They go hand in hand with fixed, smokeless ammunition, and gas or manually operated, magazine fed, firearms. The woodland tactics of the black powder era, sometimes called the skulking way of war didn't arise because folks couldn't figure out "modern" tactics. They arose because that's how one fights with those types of firearms. :wink:

If you want to see how folks conduct tactics with cap-n-ball firearms, it exists today, and it's called Cowboy Action Shooting. :grin:
There are cap-n-ball only competitors in CAS, and all that you would need is a match that only used caplock long guns and cap-n-ball revolvers. Simple.

Now if you are talking about speed loading long guns, you are asking for trouble if you allow novices to compete. I have participated in many speed matches for flintlocks. You have the potential for..., snapping ramrods, poorly seated bullets, and powder cookoffs. If you limit the match to only CW rifled muskets and caplock shotguns with plastic ramrods..., the only problem you omit is breaking off the rods. The rest of the risks are still present.

As for hypothetical events today..., if suddenly say the Constitution was amended and only caplock firearms were allowed and available, you can forget single shot muzzleloading rifles for anything but hunting and maybe long range sniping. You'd probably get some Sharps Caplock Breechloaders as well. What you'd see in a raging, up close and personal shootout would be 1858 Revolving Carbines and a lot of revolvers with detachable stocks, and a lot of revolvers by themselves. You might see some of the revolver-carbines "improved" by making them into .36 caliber guns but with 7 or 8 shot cylinders. You'd also probably have people packing at least a brace of Howdah Pistols, with backup revolvers.

But you don't have to wonder....in short..., Clint Eastwood in The Outlaw Josey Wales pretty much answered your question..., lots of revolvers and a long range rifle if needed.

:thumbsup:

LD

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not putting anyone down or pointing fingers; but "tactical" is one of those over-used words in our strange culture today.
I have even seen it used in fly-fishing catalogs. I had no idea we were at war with trout!! :grin:

I know I sound like an old curmudgeon (and I likely am) but I saw "tactical" underware in a very popular outdoor catalog and that was it for me. I think that use of this word has gone way too far and is a sales gimmick. To me the word would only apply to warfare the way it is today.

Like I said I am not pointing fingers. If I was I would different "tactics" than this. :v

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

I didn't think about the wood ramrods. My muzzleloaders have solid metal ramrods.

I appreciate the feedback. That's why I created this thread.

Using a muzzleloader in for-sure brown bear country will turn you seriously tactical. Dunno about any organized sport and not interested in any case, but I'm enthused about large holes and quick reloads. Practice is the only answer, done from your shooting bag and as far as your legs will carry you from the bench at your range.

I bet I'm uniquer than you. As far as tactical goes, I wore a tactical T shirt last week deer hunting and it didn"t help a bit. However, my tactical Zippo lit my tactical cigar very efficiently and I followed that with a tactical slug of single malt (very tactical, that stuff). :haha: graybeard

Check out the current issue of "Muzzleloader" for article on
"2011 Ohio School of the Rangers" for tactical muzzle loader skills.

I'm buying up all the drill bits I can find from .36 up to.70. When the feds confiscate all those high capacity loading blocks, I'm gonna get rich drilling out new ones. graybeard

If you are looking at speed loading then you will either need to go to a smoothbore or a minie ball. I can get 3 shots a minute off with my Brown Bess. Four if I start loaded. The only time I do a speed shoot is when we are competing against another team in a post shoot. Fastest team to cut a landscape timber in half wins. Lots of big bores and fast loading.

Read up on Rogers Rangers for period tactics. Don't forget, you only get one shot from cover, the smoke will point out your position. Rogers Rangers fought in two man fire teams. One was always loaded while the other was reloading. That kept the tomahawks out of the scalp.

Many Klatch

I think you are talking about an IDPA type event for BP revolvers, right? I can just imagine Jerry Miculek speed loading a Remington NMA with a belt load of cylinders and out shooting some guy with a 10-shot Glock.

Or how about Bob Mundon shooting from the hip with a brace of '51 Colt Navy revolvers while his competitor shoots a 1911 race gun with optics?

How about going up against shotgunner Flanigan with your Pedersoli double gun? He takes 9 shots to shoot all nine out of the sky and you fire off both barrels, knocking them all out before they reach apogee.

How are you on point shooting? While common yesterday, it's looked upon as unsafe today. Just about anything is unsafe if you don't practice or know how to do it!

Back