• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C year of manufacture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First post, what a great forum! Does anyone know where to find date of manufacture from T/C serial numbers? I just lucked into a Hawken and a Renegade. Both 54 cal. and both new in the box never assembled. The seller was a FFL dealer a long time ago and showed me the original invoices on the pair dated 1982. I could not get a copy of the invoice and would like to back up ther age from the serial numbers/mfg date. I would be thankful for any help. And no, you don't want to know what I had to give for these babies. Let's just say I could'nt buy one of T/C's current production of either model for the same money I gave for the pair. I know, I know call T/C Monday morning. I just got home with these, and I'm a kid with two new toys, that I still have'nt taken out of the boxes.

ramblin man,
If you don't get an answer,pm roundball,he is the
resident T/C person.By the way even though you
have not introduced yourself to us,welcome to the
MLF.Hope you will visit often.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Unfortunately, when asking TC that question the answer is that they lost all those manufacturing records during a large plant fire they suffered back in the 90's.

Unless you have some reason to distrust the dealer, that 1982 invoice he referenced is far more precise that any other souce I'm aware of.
If you ask, maybe he'll let you have a copy.

Welcome Ramblin Man, Sounds like you got yourself a real deal! Post some pics when you get'em completed. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you made a very good purchase. I've had real good luck with my TC Hawken 54 cal using Hornady 390 grain Great Plains bullets. I use a TC bore button over powder. My 50 cal Hawken is too new to me to say for sure what it likes best. I'm still doing the range time to figure that out. For some reason the 54 just feels better in the hand?? Hope your 54's are shooters too.

I bought my Renegade in 1982 and it's SN is 127xxx, so yours should be somewhere relatively close to that.

That said, I don't think there's a premium on older TCs. I see it as a great deal on a pair of shooters. Have fun blasting with them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't even worry about the date of manufacture, just enjoy your guns. Sounds like you got a really nice pair.
Mark

ramblin man: Welcome to the forum.

I think you will find that the .54's are exceptionally accurate and IMO they are less sensitive to slight variations in the powder loads than the .45 or .50 caliber rifles.

The Thompson Center guns seem to like a fairly tight ball/patch combination if you shoot roundballs. I have very good results (for target shooting) with a .530 dia ball and .018 thick cotton patches lubricated with Stumpkillers Moose Milk (formula available in the Members Resources area of the forum) loaded over 80 grains of FFg black powder or Pyrodex RS.
zonie :)

Back