• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C stock finish and its removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsman247

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was not getting much info from gun builders section, thought I would try here. What type of finish does T/C use on its stocks and what is the best way to remove it? I've read that acetone is a good agent to use, is this the same as paint thinner (mineral spirits)? Appreciate any and all help, Thanks

I think it's some kind of cheap varnish or lacquer, truth be known. Whatever it really is, and sorry if anyone is bothered by the word "cheap," but it came right off with 3M stripper both times I've done it. Didn't seem to be any magic formula or tougher than usual finish.

After scratching & denting my T/C Hawken's stock pretty badly (Don't ask!), I tried to raise the dent with a damp cloth and my wife's iron. While it raised the dent, it also removed the finish in that area. In short, I had to strip and refinish the entire stock using one of the methyl chloride based paint removers. It worked very well and very quickly, but you must wear hand & eye protection and perhaps even a respirator as the fumes are most unhealthy. (Better to do this outdoors.) Btw, the paint remover also raised the grain, which required a bit of sanding.

Acetone and paint thinner or mineral spirits are far from being the same thing.

Although there are other differences you can think of paint thinner as a form of highly refined kerosene. It is good for thinning paint and it will remove small areas of newly dried paint but it will have little effect on a finish that has fully dried.

It dries rather slowly and isn't much of a health hazard unless one was to drink it.

Acetone on the other hand is a highly volatile (evaporates rapidly) fluid and the fumes are explosive.
It dissolves plastics and most other finishes.
It destroys oil and anything made from it like paint, varnish etc.

It is not a good thing to breath and it can be absorbed thru the skin. In large doses it can cause liver damage.

Although it can be somewhat dangerous, it can be used with adequate ventilation.

As the others have suggested a good paint remover from your local hardware store would be the safest way to go. If you choose to use a paint remover follow all of the directions carefully and wear rubber gloves like the ones used for cleaning around the house.

Thanks for the advice all. I am working on modifying my T/C .54. I went with the GM drop in barrel, 1 in 70", replaced sights with fixed rear and brass blade up front. Darkened all the brass and now am working on the stock, basically just want to darken the wood. Before stripping the stock I may just dab a little stain over the existing finish and see what happens. Thanks again.

Putting a stain over vrnish is really onlt "painting" it.
I stripped my new englander finish by scrapping it with a razor blade.
Came off quick and easy.
Finished with tru-oil.
I hav pictures if you search NEW ENGLANDER

I have redone about two dozen TC's and I don't think stripping them is easy at all. You need a commercial stripper and wear the protective equipment required. I make a little trough out of some scrap 2x4s and a large trash bag. I can put the stock in the trough and put the stripper on and let the stripper do the work. You will need some brushed and steel wool to get it all off. When you are finished just roll up the mess in the trash bag and discard it.
You won't be able to stain the stock until you do remove the factory finish.

Some I have done.

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

Depending on the gun. It just might have some beautiful wood in it.

I spent little time messing with gun stocks at Jack Haughs place . Yes that Jack Haugh . The way he showed me was to scrap the finish off down to bare wood.. I found nothing better, yet and I have finished quite of few stocks . The finish ,depending on your preferences can be of the sand in finish ,Water based.. The prose does not require fillers or such. But if dark is what you want then I would apply the stain the same way, by sanding it in. Then I would do a hand rub finish of your choice.
Hope that helps you.
Twice.

I use Acetone- available at hardware and paint stores--- to strip commercial stock finishes. It works fast and reliably. Use glove and a face mask, or a fan blowing the fumes away from you. You don't want to breathe them in.

I strip off all the metal from the wood, then stand the stock butt down, in a metal tray I have. The acetone is applied with one of those cheap foam rubber brushes , beginning at the top, so that any drips streak down the rest of the stock I am stripping anyway. I have found that acetone will strip off the finish as fast as I can apply it, leaving very little sanding to do, and no work with steel wool. I understand that acetone is one of the ingredients in "Strip-Ez", but I have not looked at a container of that stuff now for several years. I won't swear that is the case, because I don't remember right now.

Anyway, most of these commercial finishes are acrylic lacquers, and they take some strong chemicals, or a lot of elbow grease, to take them off. I can understand why some people simply scrape these finishes off. Its a lot easier to scrape the finish off, than to sand it off.

The first time I tried the Acetone, I had purchased a quart of it for another project, and had it on hand. I thought, what the heck?--- why not try it, and see how it works. I was shocked how quickly I had all the finish and Paint off a much better piece of wood than I dreamed was under that junk.

Understand the precautions prudence suggest anyone take when using strong chemicals, but other than that, I think Acetone has been the fastest finish and paint remover I have found.

At least consider it. :thumbsup:

Mr. vallandigham,
I have not tried acetone, nor have I even thought of trying it, but you have perked my curiosity and I am going to give it a try on the next project gun. Are you still sure you don't want some more agate flints?

Most of us live around Acetone being used under conditions of poor ventilation. It is the chief ingredient of nail polish remover!

I do advise using it in a well ventilated location since you are using a larger quantity than the small portion your wife uses on that cotton ball to remove her nail polish.

Acetone is an aggressive solvent and should keep from raising the grain like a Methylene Chloride based paint stripper.

Nail Polish is made from lacquers and acrylics same as the finish used by T/C so this should be a good way to go. You'll find it in quart and gallon cans at your favorite paint store near the thinner and strippers.

:thumbsup:

Back