• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Seneca & Cherokee history

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sackettboys

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Maybe this question has been asked in the past, but does anyone know when Thompson Center introduced the Cherokee and Seneca muzzleloading rifles?

I don't know the specific year, but The Seneca is shown in T/C Arms Catalog #1 which I believe came out in the late 70's.

Roundball is right about the Seneca being in the first TC catalog (but that was in 1974).
:thumbsup:

The TC Seneca was a catalog item from 1974 to 1986; the Cherokee double trigger from 1984 to 1989; and the Cherokee single trigger from 1988 to 1991.

HTH,

WA :v

My first Seneca was a 45, I later traded that barrel for a 36. My Cherokee is a 32 and came with a single trigger. I later did an ungrade trade for a double trigger and stock. I have the TC peep sight that they made for the Seneca/Cherokee rifles on the Cherokee. Love both of them, fun to shoot.

Neat history of a seemingly already classic favorite for youth and ladies.
The few guy's I know that have'm love'm.

When was the fire that wrecked the machine and stopped production?

It looks like TC could have sold a ton more of'm if they'd have re-tooled.

necchi said:

Necchi,
A common misconception on the Internet, but one that is totally false with regards to these two models.

TC's plant fire had nothing to do with TC stopping the initial production of these two models, but rather lack of sales and their desire to move into new models was most likely the cause. The fire was on 3/27/97, 11 years on the Seneca and 6 years for the Cherokee after they had stopped making both of these models.

It's possible the fire did destroy any archived tooling for these two models they still had on hand though, thus preventing them from bringing either of them back for reissue after the fire if they had felt the market changed and they were saleable again. Obviously they didn't believe the latter in high enough numbers or they could have retooled for them if the old tooling had in fact been destroyed. FWIW it probably didn't help that in-lines were on most MFG's minds as the products that will sell, including TC who also got into them heavily.

IMO-YMMV

WA

Manufacters look for quanity. The sad fact is there aren't as many youth and smaller women shooting traditional as there are men shooting @#$%&* guns. The cherokee's were my favorite rifle for youth. :hmm:

necchi said:
Neat history of a seemingly already classic favorite for youth and ladies.
The few guy's I know that have'm love'm.

My understanding was that the Hawken sales exploded and got most of the attention from the buying public.
Compounding the situation was the reputation of the little short lightweight 13/16" .45cal Seneca barrel which produced significant recoil with stout deer hunting loads compared to the Hawken, and its speculated that a lot of those who at first might have considered the .45cal Seneca, opted for the .45cal Hawken instead...then once the the wave of Hawken popularity got on the front burner, "everybody" wanted a Hawken and the Seneca faded.....dunno for sure.

Personally, I always thought the little Seneca had a lot of classy style with the more traditional looking cheek piece, tow plate, etc, and was disappointed those aspects weren't carried forward into the Hawken line.
And that it was never offered in a Flint model, nor was the Patriot pistol...loved the looks of that pistol design but it was never made in Flint either...same cap lock asm as the Seneca & Cherokee.

If anyone ever has a chance to talk to an old timer who owns Friendship Trading Post a muzzleloader shop in suburban Chicago do so. He worked for TC in their glory days and worked on some of their designs. according to the owner the Seneca was named after Seneca Illinois, a town on the Illinois River known for the deer and small game hunting. I wish I had his card but it can be googled. This man made some fine flintlocks and did some production work etc in suburban Chicago. He is a wealth of knowledge about TC and the making of muzzleloaders.

Last night I was reading an old article in Muzzleloader magazine on the Seneca. It stated the prototypes were seen in 1973 and out on the market in 1974.

Had a .45 cal Seneca years back, '78-'79 maybe, as part of my start up inventory after getting my FFL and business licenses. Didn't pan out and I ended up working in the oilpatch. But I always admired the little Seneca and longed for one in .36 caliber for squirrel hunting. Last year I ran across one at a small local gun show. Was unfired, without a box. I offered the dealer an unfired .58 cal Investarms Hawken, that I bought for $125.00, and a $100.00 yankee greenback. Total investment of $225.00, a bargain in my eyes. What a sweet little gun. Shoots like a dream.

I recall hearing in the past that the .45 cal Senecas were prone to split stocks when shooting heavy charges. Any truth to that? Just curious.

Cleburne

the tang inlet has some gaps and really should be bedded for safety. It also will help accurcy.
as an aside i killed a deer with my wifes seneca.45. 50grns 2ff ,.445patched ball. deer did travel about 75 yds.had a very poorly placed shot.the ballpassed thru the chest.
hunting loads need to be the most accurate load you can get.

just my old idea. :v

I bought my T/C Seneca in Kodiak, AK, in 1976. Oddly enough, it was the same price as the T/C Hawken in the same store. Mine has a rust-blued, or carbona process barrel

I still have it.

got a 45&32 cherokee and 45&36 seneca,love to shoot these guys they are a joy to carry up and down the mountains here in E Tn

One my older BP books has a chapter on Friendship and talks about the "Seneca" shoot or run wherein you sort of jog through it and targets are dispersed randomly. Claimed the T/C Seneca was designed with this course in mind, being an easier gun to tote than the Hawken. Of course, those old books can be full of BS, as well.

Back