• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T C Patriot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Posted on another thread and just saw Handguns. I have a TC Patriot .45 and noticed two of the bridle screws are missing half the head. From the screwdriver slit over. Does anyone know the size of this screw and does the screws for the other TCs fit. I did just find a few on eBay that said for Hawkens Renegade and others so I got them in high hopes!

The gun works fine my fear is if the other side comes off then it will be a challenge to remove the stud. Any thought very much appreciate!!! Thanks Reds

I will get one up tomorrow just got in and will have to disassemble. Picture where the slot is for your screwdriver only half the head so the screwdriver has nothing to grip on one side.

Just got to disassemble it’s the middle and the one on the left!

Attachments

• IMG_3835.jpeg
    IMG_3835.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
soak with Kroil, with needle nose piers gentely try to move. If not heat lock plate then try. good luck. use some felpro c5a anti sieze on all the screws, apply with toothpick. lube tumbler bearing surface n sear n spring cup. those screws normally not tight they can squeeze the tumbler n slow it down. also lube mainspring pin n pivot at tumbler.

Hey thanks! I need to find the correct screws and am hoping the two I ordered on eBay are the ticket! What do you think made them break. This Patriot had never been fired. Oh and the one screw that’s not broke came right loose so hopefully the bad ones will do the same

Worse case if all fails after trying the above.. Grind or file the head off flush with the plate. Remove the other screw and plate and use pliers or small vice grip to remove the damaged screw.

my guess is that the gun is not new never fired ( dry fire is the same as loaded ) irregardless the screw heads were over hardened or the slots were cut to deep when manufactured or both and over tightened. some of the others here tell you that those screws need to be loose, this is not the case. you want them tight enough to not move when being fired. if you are experiencing the tumbler binding when the screws are tight then the tumbler needs to be worked on. if the screws are loose then the plate will shift under use and eventually you will bust 1 or more screws and be in worse shape then you are in currently. if you are not comfortable with working on the lock yourself then seek out someone who is.

As a simple alternate that I have used on this type of problem, try this.
Heat the area of the lock the screw goes into with a soldering gun. then take a small punch and tap with light hammer blows to the head of the screw at an oblique angle. Turning the screw in the counterclockwise direction.
This will often work before going to more drastic actions.
Barry

I have not tried to remove the two with the broken heads yet but the one that is undamaged came loose with no effort at all. Hopefully the two bad ones will come right out. I have found numerous bridle screws for Hawkens, Renegade and other TCs but none that say Patriot. Hoping all are the same just a different part number per gun. I can’t see why it would be a different size but we will see!

I make it a policy of removing and inspecting the lock innards before I buy if possible. I just passed on a enfield shotgun conversion because the vendor wouldn’t let me do this. Guys with bad fitting screwdrivers and grinders abound!

Lates update!!!! The screws came out easily. The two I found but were for TC Hawkens Renegade and others were not for the Patriot they were a little larger in diameter so the search is on!!! Does anyone know the actual screw size?? Thanks Reds

FYI, the screws were 4/40s and was able to locate them at my local gunsmith guy. These have an Allen head on them that is wider than the original giving more coverage. Height of head is very close to original and I bet these will never break. Thanks to everyone that helped out and remember 4/40. May be wise if you have a Patriot to check your as well. It appears to be a weak link. Attached is a picture of new screws for your viewing pleasure!!! Reds

Attachments

• IMG_4011.jpeg
    IMG_4011.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back