• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C New Englander test firing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all...just got back from test firing the 12ga. New Englander. FUN! I have shot about everything from .17 hornet to .577 nitro express....but this was my first go with a muzzleloading shotgun. I have to admit I was suprised by the wallop it delivers. This thing really loosens the fillings! Patterned it at 20yd on a large sheet of brown paper with a 10" paper plate stapled in the middle. It ain't no duck gun...but I was able to get pretty consistent shot coverage using 1 1/4 oz. of 7 1/2's and 82G FFg. The best patterns used one Circle Fly 1/8" nitro wad over the powder, and one Circle Fly .125 card over-shot wad. Tried about 15 different wad combinations. 1/8" lubed felt, 1/2" fiber wads lubed ala Gatofeo, Circle fly pre-lubed 1/2" wads...but the simple 1/8" unlubed cardboard consistently patterned better. At 20 yd., all the shot was inside a 28" circle, with 133 pellets striking the 10" paper plate. For a pic of the plate, go to
http://www.members.aol.com/l82859/pics/plate
As you can see, there are some fair sized holes in the pattern. Is this typical performance for a 12ga muzzleloader? I chose 7 1/2's because clay birds will be the primary target, along with (hopefully a few grouse or woodcock. 6's seem a little much for those targets! Should I be pleased with the results of my test..or does this patterning suck wind by ML standards? Ideas and comments please!
Thanks
ELee

Ideas and comments please!

Not too bad for your first time out with a black powder shotgun...

You can increase the shot load without increasing the powder to bring more pellets into the kill zone...

Modern guns don't always throw perfect patterns either. You done good.

Rat

For your listed uses, that pattern looks good from here! :thumbsup: If you want to tighten it down, add a shot cup to the equation.

Mr. Elee, Gentlemen and Ladies,
When clicking on the "site" you have listed it comes up a with a page that contains line after line of "jibberish". What am I doing wrong? Could it be because we don't use aol's brouser? ::
Best Wishes

Hmmm...works fine for me Windwalker. Maybe cyberspace just doesn't extend all the way to Sawmill Creek, AK. Sure wish I was there though. Used to live in Iliamna, down by the Kenai. Greatest state in the Union! Where is Sawmill Creek?
ELee

windwalker:

Sir, i don't use aol and can see it ok. must be something else

rayb

Mr. Elee, Gentlemen and Ladies,
When clicking on the "site" you have listed it comes up a with a page that contains line after line of "jibberish". What am I doing wrong? Could it be because we don't use aol's brouser? ::
Best Wishes

Here is Elee's plate for those who haven't seen it...

plate.jpg

Back