• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C New Englander 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel Reynolds

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I'm brand new to this forum and I have some questions. I have a T/C New Englander that I saved up my money and bought when I was around the age of 13. But when in-lines came out I had to have one and I forgot about my New Englander and now at the age of 37 it seems that I'm wanting to go back old school and sell my in-lines. I remember when I was young that I never was satisfied with the accuracy of the T/C, I was shooting 90 grains of black powder (ff) and 385 grain buffalo bullets. I'm open to suggestions on how to start over with this gun and better accuracy. Thanks!

Daniel,

Welcome to the sight.

I used to have a TC New Englander, and yes, it is one of those that I should never have sold. A simple, no-nonsense rifle, it performed well for me.

If you are wed to the conical, perhaps I cant help you. All my shooting was with the PRB, pushed by 80gr of FFG. If memory serves, I used an 18 patch. Off the bench it would consistently print 2" groups at 50 Yards. Perhaps a shooter better than I could have shrunk those groups a bit. It was deadly on whitetails. My shots were seldom beyond 60 yards in the woods where I hunt (the Virginias).

If you are open to the PRB, experiment with 70-80 grain loads and patches from 15 to 18, and I bet you will find a load that you like. Good luck.

By the way, my rifle was a .50.

I've had good luck with maxi-balls in every T/C gun I've tried them in. and roundballs with 70gr powder shot pretty much identically to maxi's with 90gr loads.

The New Englander is a good gun. Mine is very accurate with patched round ball and 80 grains of powder.

Tried the 320 grain and 370 grain Maxi-Balls but the accuracy was not there for me.

Add me to the list of guys who regret selling their New Englander.

Mine shot patched round balls very well. But it really shined with the (no longer made) Hornady 410 grain Great Plains flat point over 70 grains FFg. The funny thing was, the 385 grain Great Plains hollow points didn't shoot nearly as well. I've always thought Hornady discontinued the wrong bullet. But that "hollow point" cachet probably carried the day in the sales department.

Daniel, I would try two things with those buffalo bullets. Try backing off on the charge. Even going down to 65 grains will give you a killer load. Also try a card wad under the bullet, and a fiber wad. There may be a magic combination somewhere out there.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

IMO, Slugs are weird. A rifle may shoot one type and weight very well and another type of similar weight won't shoot worth a darn.

Not only that but even rifles of the same kind and caliber, one may like this type of slug while the other one doesn't. That means old Fred's gun may like the Buffalo HP Conical but John's doesn't.
John's likes TC Maxi's but Fred's doesn't.

Unfortunately, slugs are usually pretty expensive and finding out which one shoots best can cost quite a bit buying a box of each type.

All muzzleloading rifles (and pistols) are this way shooting patched roundballs too but it doesn't seem to be as extreme.

You might want to consider buying a box of lead roundballs and some .015 or .018 thick patches, some patch lube and trying them.

Based on the bullet weight you mentioned I'm guessing your gun is a .50 caliber? If so, buy a box of .490 diameter balls.

They can be amazingly accurate and out to 100 yards they are very effective in bringing down deer sized critters.

I have two N/E's and both of them shoot the Lee REALS in 250 gr with 80grs of 3F with an over powder felt wad very accurately. The T/C mini balls shoot real close. but for the deer around here the 250 REALs shoot fine. If I was in an area that had Elk or Moose or Bears, I would not hesitate to load the Mini balls. I like to have 2 holes on things I shoot. And I know the mini is going to go through just about everything.

The thing that made the biggest improvement in accuracy was the wad. I lubed mine with bore butter in a plastic bag in the microwave oven.

Here is a target I shot the last time I had it out. 100 yds 5 shots.

I think the New Englander has a 1:66 twist to the barrel and therefore is best used with patched round balls. Try a .490 ball in a .015 lubed patch and 65 gr. Of 3F.

Conicals are iffy in a barrel made for PRBs.

Guys thanks so much for the info! This should give me a great jump start on this issue! Where is the best place to order patches, wads, bullets and round balls?

Here is a round ball ballistic calculator's net address. Click on the net address and, once there, scroll down almost to the bottom of the page and click on the blue "CLICK HERE" writing, and put your own ballistic values in the appropriate places when the ballistic's chart comes up. Use an muzzle velocity of 1700 fps (my estimated muzzle velocity using a load of 70 grains of Swiss FFFg black powder) which is my hunting load in my older model CVA percussion cap .50 caliber rifle.

At my self-imposed maximum shooting range of 80 yards, this load shoots through both sides of a whitetail deer.

When you put in your caliber, the chart will automatically put in your rifle ball's weight when you "click" into that next item. If you disagree with the rifle ball's weight, add your own weight value. I added "177" (grains) since I believe that is the correct weight of my rifle balls.

Next, put in a "zeroing" or "sighting-in" range of 25 yards and a range interval of 25 yards and then click on the FIRE button and you will get a detailed ballistic chart. Enjoy...! :wink:
http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/rbballistics/rbballistics.html

Strength and Honor...

Ron T.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomme Boy is right on, the Lee Real bullet was often considered the best compromises for the TC rifles. One of my hunting buddies, was very successful with that bullet.

Back