• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Maxi-Balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerDog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last weekend, I used some Maxi-Balls in my .45 cal T/C. They seemed to be very loose when loading. No effort at all was required to seat them. Is this normal?

Seemed to shoot ok.

Mine shot very well with maxi's, but you must keep a check on the bullet seating. A small wad of paper over the bullet may keep it in check, but you would need to target test it to make sure that does not change your POI.

The store bought TC Maxis I have used load fairly easily while ones you can cast are tight without sizing. How did they shoot? being loose and all you may want to patch behind the MB with a wad to prevent blow-by and send your MB a bit further.

take something hard and tap the edges of the base a couple times. i use my ball starter and give the bottom some good raps before loading. it will expand the base and will fix your problem. Ive never had a maxi slid up the barrel when i've did this before loading it. it works for me.

I've always had better luck with the Hornaday great plains bullets. In my rifles they fit tight.

Back