• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTShooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok time to get my Hawken out of the 20th century and get some proper sights on the rifle.
I'm hoping to find some parts that have worked well for people.

Can anyone suggest some options or dimensions I should be looking at?

Thanks

The rear sight was the hardest for me. I settled on this one from The Hawken Shop and couldn't be happier. Terrible picture, great sight. I don't recall which front sight I selected, but I got it from Track of the Wolf.

While you're at The Hawken Shop check out this steel conversion kit for the TC Hawken. If you're bothered by all that brass, it's a really nice solution. Note that the rear sight is included in that kit, too.

How is that sight installed? And do you have a picture of it installed?

Thanks for the links

A year or so ago I put together a TC kit I found in a pawnshop. Rather than use the modern sights it came with I plugged the screw holes and dovetailed a slot, then bought a rear sights from MBS. The front sight that came with the gun was huge so I modified it before installation. I sold it and the last I heard the new owner is tickled with the gun.

CTShooter said:
How is that sight installed? And do you have a picture of it installed?

Thanks for the links

I'm on the road and can't pic it for you. It's set up so you can drill the base to match the existing screw holes in the barrel. Nice system for me, not wanting to go through hole plugging and dovetail cutting. I just wanted better sights on a hunting gun, and got em.

Is that the business that was previously owned by Susie and then Don Eads before her?

Dixie used to sell, and probably still do, a small plate that fits the screw pattern and has a dovetail in the plate so you can use fixed dovetailed sights with no modifications to the barrel. :idunno:

Make some try sights out of cardboard or aluminum. You will probably find that sights that look period are too low to work with the stock. You will need to lower the comb. Personally, after remodeling two TC's, I'd leave well enough alone and make a real Hawkin. The TC will never pass for antique.

ohio ramrod said:
Dixie used to sell, and probably still do, a small plate that fits the screw pattern and has a dovetail in the plate so you can use fixed dovetailed sights with no modifications to the barrel. :idunno:
Never heard of that before? That is something I would be interested in checking into. If the dovetail is built into the plate that you screw on using the existing screw holes on the barrel, wouldn't the rear sight sit high on the barrel?

I'm just trying to picture that in my mind. Does that also mean that you could use any sight that has a dovetail as long as it would fit the plate which is screwed onto the barrel?

Confusion is just a part of life for me! :confused:

Respectfully, Cowboy

I'm not trying to make it "antique", I'm looking to replace the adjustable sight with a fixed sight, because some of the shoots I would like to attend don't allow adjustable sights.

My current choice is pay for cancer treatments or buy/build a new HC rifle. I would prefer the rifle, but without medication, my life span is about 3 months.

I looked for that plate and didn't find anything. But it doesn't seem like it would be hard to make.

I plan on it, too stupid to know I can't.

Go to work every day and hit the range on the way home 3-4 times a week.

Thank you

That screw mount fixed sight looks like the best option so far, going to call them today.

Make a sight out of angle iron and screw it to the barrel with the existing screw holes?

I made some plates before I retired and yes they do sit the sight slightly higher up so you have to use a shorter sight or put on a taller front sight. I made my plates so that they also moved the rear sight further out the barrel (older eyes). :idunno: :idunno:

I appreciate the reply. After seeing your pic. I pretty much understand it now.

You did a fine job on yours. If Dixie doesn't have one I might give it a try and make one for myself.

I also like the idea that you can adjust the distance on yours. My eye sight is not what it used to be too!

Thankyou, Respectfully, Cowboy :hatsoff:

Buy a triangular file and fresh hacksaw blade.....

The trick to good shooting in in the rear sight distance.

Make a mock sight and find where you see the rear sight well while focusing on the front sight.

Its not rare for old guns to have 2 or different dovetails cuts, even for the same shooter.

Latest posts

Back