• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken Composite Stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I ran across a composite stock made for a T/C Hawken rifle. I've never seen one before. Judging by the iron mounted on it, I would say it had some age on it. It was mfg by Precision Grips Inc. I havent been able to find any information on this company. The logo next to their name is an eagle with outstretched talons. I would like to know how old this stock is and any other information that anyone may have on this company. Thanks, RamblinMan

I don't think I have ever heard of a composite stock for a T/C Hawken! I just can't see why anyone would want modern plastics on a traditional style gun. :barf:

nw_hunter said:
I don't think I have ever heard of a composite stock for a T/C Hawken! I just can't see why anyone would want modern plastics on a traditional style gun. :barf:

Probably for the same people who put scopes on T/C Hawken's.

HD

I recall something from the mid 90's (I did not my first gun until I was 21 in 1993 or hunt) seeing replacement stocks I would look for the real stock. I feel that original tc equiptment (prefire) is like original classic cars just keep em stock. Though I do have green mountain barrels on 2 of my 3 tc guns I still keep the original barrels and will not part with them.

Every stock material has its advantages and disadvantages.
Plastic is weather proof so it won't warp which might affect accuracy. It's lighter and saves weight which could make it handier to use for hunting. Another plus is that it won't get dinged up as easily so the gun won't lose as much value as if the wood stock was hunted with.
A plastic replacement stock is usually less expensive than a walnut one making them more affordable. If money is invested in a brand new TC with a walnut stock, maybe a person wouldn't even want to lend it to their child to hunt with. A plastic replacement stock is really more "kid friendly".
If a lighter and more durable plastic stock helps to make a muzzle loader more manageable to hold and shoot for a lady or a child, then that's a good thing, especially if it has a longer, heavier aftermarket barrel installed on it.
TC has made some sidelock models with composite stocks. If that makes them more affordable and user friendly for some then that's a positive benefit for BP shooters. :wink:

I really didnt want to to debate the pros and cons of a composite stock. I was just interested in how old this one was and any other info on the company that made it. I have never seen one before and found it interesting. I been interested in and collecting data on the history of Thompson Center traditional muzzleloaders and the rare and different variations of sidelocks they produced. For instance I've been compiling data on serialization by year of manufacture (data T/C says was lost) from actual verifiable purchase records. Again any one that has information on this stock, I would appreciate the information.

I also have a Precision stock on a TC Hawkens. Bought it SEVERAL years ago. Wanted a plastic stock to replace a very nicely figured factory stock that I didn't want to ding up. I've looked and looked for another one and have tried to research its origin - with no luck. Even after all these years and many rounds down range, the stock still looks like brand new. That's one tough material. I replaced the butt plate with a rubber recoil pad - really helps when shooting heavy loads. Putting on the recoil pad was really easy as there are two brass female thread inserts in the stock - just bolt up the pad and trim to fit. It's a shame they don't make them anymore. I realize that it isn't PC (neither are the FO replacement sights), but it sure works for me.

Is the composite stock shaped just like its original counterpart? I've never seen any of these.

I used to have a T/C Greyhawk, which of course had stainless steel parts on a composite stock. It was okay, but it sure didn't feel like a New Englander. :grin:

Spot

It actually looks like a Renegade stock with flat buttplate. There are no escutcheons. The composite is molded to look like escutcheons.

Probably be useful if you hunt in wet weather all the time.

HD

Latest posts

Back