• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c hawken barrel needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushbuster

40 Cal.
Reaction score
looks like i need a new barreli cant get better than 4" groups and a bore light show the barrel having sa few pits.
any suggestions .i gotta get one cheap :curse: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i doubt i can get t/c to warranty it

What yardage are ya shootin at to get 4" ? I just saw a TC barrel on either GB OR AA today ...I think it was $100

*** wv scrounger ***

looks like i need a new barreli cant get better than 4" groups and a bore light show the barrel having sa few pits.
any suggestions .i gotta get one cheap :curse: :cry: :cry: :cry:
i doubt i can get t/c to warranty it

Assuming you're already doing all the proper things regarding accuracy, before doing anything you may not have to do, here's a simple suggestion to try:

Run a range session using Oxyoke prelubed wonderwads and TC's .018" prelubed pillow ticking patches...don't worry about adjusting sights, just shoot groups and see what happens

i was shootin @50 yds nad was shooting two flinters at 50 yds 2-10x,1-9.,243 10 heart sized balloons sitting @80 YDS ,but no matter what i did with the t/c i couldnt get it inside the bull even off the bench ,i tried .490and .495 balls different lubes and patches but no good.i'm so upset :cry: :cry: :cry:

Is this a rifle you're familiar with? What powder charge were you shooting? Have you shot good groups with the rifle in the past?

Since you're thinking the barrel is no good, and you have nothing to loose, you could try a light lapp job on the barrel and see if the accuracy improves.

Or you could go to track of the wolf and but a Green Mountian Barrel in what ever twist you like depending on what you want to shoot, and just put a different barrel on it. I do not think you would go wrong with the GMB.

i bought this gun off of gun brokers about four months ago and only fired two shots out of it at the bottom of a tin coffee can at 25 yds 1 rb and 1gpr bullet both hit the can and i figured i just needed practice. i looked for the patches but could not find any.
sb suggested i change the nipple which i will do but i guess ill shoot it again today over bare ground and try to find my patches and increase my load with fffg.
another thing i noticed yesterday was when i cleaned it i used tubeing attatched to the nipple and ran it into a bottle of old thunder and noticed the fluid squirting out of the side screw .a re tap and new screw can fix that pretty easily but i,m starting to think i got took.
live and learn i guess :redface: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Brushbuster, I have a TC Hawken that I bought in the mid 1980's and it never did shoot round balls well. At 50 yds most groups were 4-5". It has a 1/48 twist and does shoot buffalo bullets well (about 2" at 50 yds.) I wound up putting on a GMB and it shot 1-2" groups at 50 yds, but was very fussy about it's load - requiring 90g of 2f, .500 ball and a teflon coated pillow ticking patch that needed to be started with a short starter and a rubber mallet.

A friend had the same TC Hawken that shot roundballs fine - he tried my gun with his load and also got 4-5" groups. Don't know why the difference in accuracy but that's the way it was.

Did you work up a load?

Many barrels will shoot fine with minor pitting and the right load combination.

Also, try using WonderWads on top of the powder then your PRB. I'd also try wads and conical's before I abandon the barrel.

Roundball might know best, but have you noticed that Thompson Center Rifles seem to like a very strong powder charge or a very weak one...

What I mean is to get any accuracy out of my .54's or .50's I have to either shoot like 50 grains of powder or close to 90 grains of powder. If I load 75 grains like some of the other .50's the accuracy is terrible.

I think all you really might need to do is start playing with lubes, patches and powder charges and you will probably have a good shooting rifle on your hands...

Lets hope so. Although I sure like my Green Mountain Drop in Barrels....

i tried again this morning and all is not lost ::
i dug around my junk box and foond some t/c .010 prelubed patches .
i upped the charge to 65gr fffg with .490rb and these patches .
these were my first 5 shots
mr04001.jpg
[/img]
i feel a lot better now :: :: ::

Back