• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/c .56SB Loads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lefty41

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I read here alot but post very seldom. A world of info here and I thank each and all for your knowledge.
I have a .56SB barrel on the way for my .54 Renegade and after looking at T/C manual I am curious about shot loads. the manual only lists one load called a bird shot load. Lists 7/8 oz. of #6 or #7.5; 80 grains FFG. Has special intructions on loading this with T/C wads.
Does anyone have any additional loads that would be safe, and or, more effective? Do you know of a source for the .56 caliber wads.
Thanks for any and all advice.

lefty41 said:
Hello, everyone. I read here alot but post very seldom. A world of info here and I thank each and all for your knowledge.
I have a .56SB barrel on the way for my .54 Renegade and after looking at T/C manual I am curious about shot loads. the manual only lists one load called a bird shot load. Lists 7/8 oz. of #6 or #7.5; 80 grains FFG. Has special intructions on loading this with T/C wads.
Does anyone have any additional loads that would be safe, and or, more effective? Do you know of a source for the .56 caliber wads.
Thanks for any and all advice.
In big strong octagon barrels you can ignore trying to map them to the equivalent modern 28ga shotgun loads.

In my GM .28ga (.54cal) Flint smoothbore, which is actually 15/16" instead of your 1", I use:

70grns Goex 3F
One .58(fifty-eight) cal Oxyoke wonderwad
1+3/8oz hard/magnum shot
One Circle Fly brand .28ga OS (over shot) card

Mine throws an outstanding small game pattern to 30yards

I used .58 caliber wads for my .56 when I had it. If you want to try a roundball load, 90ffG with a wad and .535 ball with a thick patch will drive tacks for ya. Good luck!

TC made a mold that throws a .550 ball for that gun but that seems like it would be on the tight side useing a patch, it works well in a .58 smoothbore.

T/C says to use a .550 round ball, but I agree that a .535 with maybe an 020 patch might work well. The .535RB is easier to find than the .550RB. The Log Cabin and the Possibles Shop does carry the .550. Again, T/C shows 80-100grs of FFG for the 265 gr. RB(.550); should those loads be okay for the .535RB? Really getting anxious to shoot this thing! T/C also says to use only the T/C .56 cal wads, but you think the .58 wads will be okay?
Great help here from each of you and I will let you know how it's going as soon as the weather breaks here in central Ohio. About 15" on the ground today and maybe a little more on the way tomorrow.
Thanks guys.

lefty41 said:
T/C says to use a .550 round ball, but I agree that a .535 with maybe an 020 patch might work well. The .535RB is easier to find than the .550RB. The Log Cabin and the Possibles Shop does carry the .550. Again, T/C shows 80-100grs of FFG for the 265 gr. RB(.550); should those loads be okay for the .535RB? Really getting anxious to shoot this thing! T/C also says to use only the T/C .56 cal wads, but you think the .58 wads will be okay?
Great help here from each of you and I will let you know how it's going as soon as the weather breaks here in central Ohio. About 15" on the ground today and maybe a little more on the way tomorrow.
Thanks guys.
I used to have a T/C .56 before I switched to Flintlocks...used prelubed .58cal 'Oxyoke Wonderwads' in it no problem...I used:

70grns Goex 3F
.58cal Oxyoke wad
.015" patch
.550 ball

Very tight requiring a couple sharp raps on the short starter but very accurate at the 50yds I zeroed it...never tried the .535" but agree had I thought about it it would have been easier to get and probably shoot just as well with a .020" patch.

But you might find that the real enjoyment from the .56 S/B is going to be shot loads for squirrels, rabbits, turkeys, crows, skeet, etc...get a rifled barrel as discussed above for deer hunting, target shooting, etc.

Sometimes you will find the TC .550 mold at gunshows or trade blankets, I have one and was thinking of selling it but after trying the .550 bal in my .58 fusil I decided it was a keeper, I would think you could use the same powder load for either ball, might have to tweek it to get the best accuracy.Roundballs advice on this is about as good as it gets we call him Mr. TC around here he has worked loads for about every possible TC gun, caliber and powder, he is a walking range note book on TC data.

Roundball,
The reason I bought the 56SB was for using it as a shotgun first and foremost. I have the .54 Renegade barrel, plus the New Englander with .50, 12ga and on the way a .54. Don't know if I mentioned it but these are left-handed T/C's. My only caplock rifles and I wanted to obtain as many different combinations as possible while they can still be found. Off subject, but do you know of very many LH shooters who use RH rifles? I have been leery of trying a RH percussion.

Sorry, I forgot about the other rifle barrel you said you had.
I don't know of any lefties who use a right hand model but surely there are some on the Forum.

Smoothbores for shot loads have opened whole new sets of experimentation and hunting options for me since I bought my first GM Flint smoothbore barrel a few years ago.

Note: There's a gunsmith in Iowa who makes a "Jug Choke" inside smoothbore barrels...had him choke a GM .62cal for me to 'Full Choke' to make it a good Turkey / Trap barrel. ($75 bucks includes return UPS).

I happen to prefer the longer GM 33" x 1" barrel but if you're OK with the shorter 27" Renegade barrel, the Jug Choke would be a good investment to get better patterns at longer distances.

And if you'd rather not have it 'Full' choked, you can have it choked however much you want...I had him choke another one halfway between Imp.Cyl.& Modified for crows, rabbits, etc.

Back