• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C 56cal & Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mookie's Roost said:
Soit is a great deer and turkey getter. I still have not found a good deal on a 54 cal to put .62 cal smoothie yet. I am still looking. I am thinkin of getting that T/C 50 cal. sidelock I told you about. I looked at it again the other day. It is in great shape. For $139.00 I think it is a great deal. I guess I could buy some smaller cal. barrels for it too. I think the 50 cal.is 15/16 wide barrel right. Thanks,Mike
Right...15/16" barrels...TC .45 & .50cal barrels would fit it of course, and GM makes .40 & .54cal rifle barrels.

Plus, they make a 15/16" .54cal smoothbore drop-in barrel for the TC Hawken which is excellent...15/16" x 33"...I've shot deer, crow, and trap targets with mine...can also be used for turkey.

If a person could only have one ML that definitely could be one that could do it all.

Loading 3/4's oz. of shot in a 28 ga. is going to limit the effective shot pattern and the range of the gun by too much. That's equivalent to a .410 load out of a BP bore that's large enough to handle more.
I've loaded my round walled Spanish 28 gauge with 90-100 grains of shot & powder without any problem whatsoever. The shot column might be longer, but so what? The effective shot pattern will have more reach, which is important to maximize in a smoothbore without any choke constriction.
Some folks who have reported turkey hunting success with the .56 TC at 25 yards have used heavy loads too, and they worked fine.
It's simply that the more the pattern spreads out at a moderate distance, the more shot that needs to be loaded. It's better to use a little too much shot than not enough, and the TC barrel is plenty strong. :hatsoff:

Don't know if you simply posted next in line or were responding to my post directly...where did the 3/4oz reference come from?

arcticap said:
Loading 3/4's oz. of shot in a 28 ga. is going to limit the effective shot pattern and the range of the gun by too much. That's equivalent to a .410 load out of a BP bore that's large enough to handle more.
I've loaded my round walled Spanish 28 gauge with 90-100 grains of shot & powder without any problem whatsoever. The shot column might be longer, but so what? The effective shot pattern will have more reach, which is important to maximize in a smoothbore without any choke constriction.
Some folks who have reported turkey hunting success with the .56 TC at 25 yards have used heavy loads too, and they worked fine.
It's simply that the more the pattern spreads out at a moderate distance, the more shot that needs to be loaded. It's better to use a little too much shot than not enough, and the TC barrel is plenty strong. :hatsoff:
That's the way I feel about it using the big GM barrels...no comparison to modern shotguns and their loads...I've come to think of them as just big strong steel pipes and what I can do with them...I ignore that they happen to be a .20ga or 28ga size.

My GM .62/20's easily handle 80grns Goex 3F and 1+5/8oz shot.....the .54/28's with 70grns Goex 3F and 1+3/8oz shot.

At the same time the .52/28 with a 1oz load of #8s over 60grns Goex 3F was excellent on skeet clay targets

I agree with the last couple of posts. I have a .56 smoothbore and I use 1 1/4 ounce, #7 1/2 shot, over 70 grains powder with good results. I have shot heavier loads also with good results and no real recoil to complain about. This seems to be a good ratio as if I increase the powder load without increasing the shot load proportionately I get holes in my pattern from the wadding.
Taylor in Texas

Back