• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swivel Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanChamberlain

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Last year at the Rendevouz at Fort Des Chartres there was a vendor who had a couple "as cast" swivel guns for sale. I don't remember the price, but thought it would be kind of fun to play with something like this, using really light powder charges and such. Does anyone have any experience with these things?

Dan

I've got one I built check out Post#311753 or click on search up top and type in swivel gun.

Before playing with any cannon, find out how it was made. If it isn't poured solid, bore drilled, and sleeved, don't shoot it! Or use a long fuse and get as far away as you can!

Hello the camp,
Dan, I have a 1752 British Navel Swivel reproduction. It a fun thing to shoot. A couple of my mates were visiting from England and fitted this little gun out with a to scale naval carrige. Theswe were actually mounted fore and aft on swivel yokes and loaded wiith canister to defens against attack. This one is done this way just for appearence and to make it portable and functional. It is displayed on the hearth in our home and makes an interesting conversation peice. It also has a very authoritive voice when fired.

Hi Dan, I've fired a couple of swivel guns I borrowed from a mate when my artillery battery performed with our local symphony for a performance of the 1812 Overture. Nice pieces. The guns were mounted in a tree stump. A lot different than the big boys I'm used to--3-inch Iron rifle up to 10-inch Rodman. Like others have said, before you fire them off, make sure you know all about how they were cast. Remember, when firing anything, safety is Number One!

Harry
Fort[url] Taylor.org[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
No, these were guns that a friend of mine made. We borrowed two swivels, two 1.5-inch cannon on naval carriages, two bronze 1-inch on naval carriages, my replica coehorn mortarm, my 3-inch iron rifle and my 1.5-inch on a field carriage.

It was one of the best cannon firing experiences in my life to perform that piece with a symphony!

Harry

That had to be absolutely amazing to have that song playing with actual cannon fire going on. :thumbsup:

Indeed it was! The crew "rehearsed" numerous times before the performance. We first obtained a copy of the recording to listen to and time exactly when the firings would occur. Then a check with the conductor to make sure our arrangement was the same as what the symphony was going to perform. Then a number of "dry" firings while listening to the recording. Then, arranging the cannon so those that would have to be reloaded could be done so quickly (and safely). The finale firing was done with my 3-inch Iron Rifle since it packed the biggest "boom."

The symphony performed the piece as part of a free concert to the community inside our Civil War fort, so the acoustics were excellent. And, the audience response was simply amazing--they absolutely loved it!

Ever since getting involved in black powder, it's been a dream of mine to perform that piece with a symphony. I guess not many cannoneers can say they've played with a symphony and when asked what instrument, reply, "why, the cannon, of course!? :)

Harry

How true. So few people can say they've fired a cannon before, let alone perform in the 1812 Ov.

Harry I have to say I am still really jealous! I am not a big classical music person but the 1812 is one of my favorites. :bow:

It is a hoot to be in the concussion section for the 1812. I believe that's the actual name for it. I didn't get to hear much of the music since the cannon aren't close and we were wearing hearing protection. We had our own conductor who had a radio connection to keep him informed and with lanyard firing it was close enough. He signaled when to be ready and then went down the line telling each gunner when to fire.

Steve

That's a cool name for it Steve. Never thought there was an actual name for "our" section. Our cannon were set up right next to the orchestra. I, as commander of the battery, was taking my cues to fire from another member of the symphony. Plus, I'm familiar with the piece we were part of.

Harry

Back