• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss vs. Goex Black powders, better charcoal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt LaManna

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was given a curious notion, even if there's some truth to advertisement, after seeing a recent Boars Head Ham commercial. Please consider this thought, Boars Head Meats, claims to produce better ham, in the traditional German fashion, using Beech wood chips in the smoking process. Given the limited historical evidence of the origins of the invention of who is actually responsible for it's discovery, in my limited research of current accounts, I'm still a firm believer that an obscure Germanic Monk, was the one to lay the groundwork for it's use as a propellant of objects. Not the ancient Chinese, as this is a common falsehood being continued to this day. Being these secretive German Chemists and the threat of imprisonment or possibility execution as practicing Witchcraft, in violations of the Roman Catholic Church in the 12th century, I believe that these discoverers, knew the potential of this mechanical mixture. Which brings me to this thought, early recipes for Flying Fire mentions grape wood, willow and beech wood. Is the usage of these hardwoods in Europe as well as hundreds of years of development in Black Powder making, is the Goex made here using more common native wood, pine, walnut or other, not burn as efficiently as the European hardwoods used in Swiss Powder? I've only used a couple of container of Swiss, as it's been almost twice the price of Goex, and not always available locally. But, I've found it to be cleaner burning and more energetic with the same volume as Goex. I know that formulation varies by brand, and I'm not meaning to denigrate Goex's product, it's about all I buy and I have no problem using it and will continue to buy it, but, is the formulation of Swiss brand powders, better from something as simple as which type of wood is used in the making of the charcoal? I'd like to hear the thoughts of some of you wiser gentleman than myself. I thought it would be an interesting topic.

The wood used to make the charcoal does play a key role in making good BP. A soft wood is needed so it will burn quickly. Even the wood used of the same type can make a difference. Willow is one of the favorites but if you change from using branches to the more solid wood of the tree you will see differences or say a willow that came from another area and grew more or less dense will burn at different rates. It comes down to consistency like most things for accurate shooting.

Back