• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chrono results comparing Swiss vs. Goex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorB

40 Cal
Reaction score
Took my Pedersoli Frontier flint in .45 to the range today and fired over the chrono. Used Goex 3f and Swiss 3f, both new unopened cans kept is pristine conditions. The Swiss has given me higher velocity in revolvers, but not anything dramatic. However, in the 39" barrel of my Pedersoli, the Swiss showed a LOT more ummph. All loads were measured volumetrically, using 3f, a.440 rb, and .010 linen patch lubed with whatever Ox-Yoke puts on them. I did not measure group sizes, as I am not a great shot with a flintlock. I can hit clay birds around 70 yards, which is good enough for me and what I do. I had zero failures to fire for 35 shots (7 five shot strings) and only one slight delay. I cleaned the barrel after each 5 shot string, but did nothing else, including knapping the flint. Used the same powder in the pan as the main charge, here are the average velocities. The patches I found could have been reused, no evidence of burning.

Goex 3f. Swiss 3f

50 gr. 1442 fps no shots

60 gr. 1557 fps 1814 fps

75 gr. 1694 fps. 2090 fps

90 gr. 1967. fps 2206 fps

I would be curious to know what the volumetric weight is vs. the actual weight of the 2 charges is. I think Swiss is a little denser. It's also about 15%-20% more expensive, so velocity wise it would seem to be. a wash (decreased charge of 15% / increase cost of 15% per shot cancel each other out.

Swiss has a reputation of fouling less, and being more accurate too (probably because of more consistent burning and pressures giving less variability in shot-to-shot velocities) , so it would seem that, given the above, that shot for shot Swiss would be the better powder to use.

Took my Pedersoli Frontier flint in .45 to the range today and fired over the chrono. Used Goex 3f and Swiss 3f, both new unopened cans kept is pristine conditions. The Swiss has given me higher velocity in revolvers, but not anything dramatic. However, in the 39" barrel of my Pedersoli, the Swiss showed a LOT more ummph. All loads were measured volumetrically, using 3f, a.440 rb, and .010 linen patch lubed with whatever Ox-Yoke puts on them. I did not measure group sizes, as I am not a great shot with a flintlock. I can hit clay birds around 70 yards, which is good enough for me and what I do. I had zero failures to fire for 35 shots (7 five shot strings) and only one slight delay. I cleaned the barrel after each 5 shot string, but did nothing else, including knapping the flint. Used the same powder in the pan as the main charge, here are the average velocities. The patches I found could have been reused, no evidence of burning.

Goex 3f. Swiss 3f

50 gr. 1442 fps no shots

60 gr. 1557 fps 1814 fps

75 gr. 1694 fps. 2090 fps

90 gr. 1967. fps 2206 fps

Latest posts

Back