• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swiss Powder Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoot Calibers from .45 to .62. Is there one Grade of Swiss Powder that would work in all of them? Or, should I use different grades??? Also, how much Powder reduction has to be used versus Goex??

Old school would dictate 3f 45 down and 2F from there up. However there are plenty of folks that say it does not matter this day and age. It works for me though. I switched powders a while ago and the new powder was a little hotter so I spent a little range time to adjust the powder charges. The diffrence was in the 5 grains range. When you get the Swiss let us know how it worked out for you. I get tempted every time I order but the charge has stopped me so far. Geo. T.

When I shot the Swiss powder I bought I found that I needed to reduce the quantity 10 percent below the GOEX powder I had been shooting to get the ball to hit in the same place.
This was with Swiss 3F vs GOEX 3F.

I have no doubts that Swiss is a more powerful powder.

Yeah Swiss is very good powder and is also quite consistent. I shoot lots of 1.5 in a 45-70 and 38-70. Mostly using up my Goex cartridge and Express in my muzzle loaders over .50 cal and 3F in pistols under .54.
We usually do a group buy and I like to get ten or 15 pounds in a mixed batch when I can. MD

IMHO, 3Fg is your all-arounder. Just test and adjust charges accordingly. I have little experience with the Swiss but have a lot on the shelf that will get used eventually. I did do some testing with my wife's .40 cal rifle. Previously used only G-O in 3Fg at about 40 grains. The Swiss got us down to 25 grains of 3Fg for best results. Despite higher per pound price it would be a more economical powder to shoot. As an added, but strange side effect, this little .40 with those 25 grains of bang powder is the loudest firearm I own. Omigosh! :shocked2: Does it give a blast. Louder than modern 12 ga. shotgun or .44 mag. pistol. :shocked2: :shocked2:

I use Swiss 3 F and Goex 3 and 2 F. The 2F Goex in my 50s is twice as dirty as the 3F Swiss. The 3F Goex is dirtier in my revolvers than the Swiss but not as bad. I'm only using the 2F Goex in my shotgun now.

Anybody using good ol' Goex 1f in any of their shotguns? I've heard some interesting (good) reports but haven't yet tested for myself, although I did pick up a couple cans last order.

If you have some and it goes bang, use it.
I have some 1 1/2 Fg. Swiss and cannot get ignition in my flint fowler with it. Gun goes bang just fine with any brand 2 or 3Fg.
Coarse ole 1 might be hard to ignite.

The 1.5 Swiss is made mainly for cartridge guns and is one of the most widely used for this purpose.
It pretty much replaced Goex Cartridge grade powder for this purpose.
The 45-100s and 110s use 1F I believe.
Some folks have had good success with the 3F in the cartridge guns as well.
I have not tried any of these yet in my muzzle loaders as I still have a fair supply of Goex 2 and 3 F. MD

Lead Slinger said:
I shoot Calibers from .45 to .62. Is there one Grade of Swiss Powder that would work in all of them? Or, should I use different grades??? Also, how much Powder reduction has to be used versus Goex??

Normally you can drop 5-10 grains off the same granulation of Goex.
You need to TRY the swiss. But I would use 3f in 54 and below FF in larger bores.
Shot 90 gr of FFF in my 54 and 140 FF in my 16 bore (.662 ball)
Dan

Rifleman1776 said:
I have some 1 1/2 Fg. Swiss and cannot get ignition in my flint fowler with it. Gun goes bang just fine with any brand 2 or 3Fg.

You have a vent problem.
1.5F is real close to FF and I have shot it in my 54 flint with no issue other than POI was low at 100 yards.

Dan

Dan Phariss said:
Rifleman1776 said:

You have a vent problem.
1.5F is real close to FF and I have shot it in my 54 flint with no issue other than POI was low at 100 yards.

Dan

Dan, I enlarged the vent/touch hole in increments and that did not help. Stuff just did not want to ignite without at lot of 4Fg poked into the hole.
When I switched to 3 and 4Fg it started going bang reliably. I do believe it is a powder of a different kind of animule. Balance of the can will sit on my shelf unitl it rots.
bpgranules.jpg
[/img]

Back