• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swaged .58 projectiles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjkershul

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any information on a source for swaged Minies other than the .577 Prichert projectiles offered by Dixie Gun Works? I have been experimenting with 300 and 500 yd shooting with replica rifled muskets and would like to try swaged or "cold pressed" Burton type projectiles.

I can't help you with that choice of mini's but I
do cast oversized and size them. This I will add
the back of the bullet is more effective in
accuracy than the front.{true} So I made a tool
that fits over the base with a scraper that bevels
the entire bottom in uniform shape. So, sizing
and trimming the base improves my mini's leaving the rest up to me.
Wulf :wink:

I know of no source of swaged mini balls and at almost $1/round couldn't afford them anyway. The Dixie offering has no grease/scraper rings and the knurling couldn't possibly hold enough lube to keep the fouling soft for more than a couple of shots. Everyone I know casts their choice of mini and sizes it to fit their bore. My wife and I use a 315 grain Rapine sized in a Lyman Lubrisizer and SPG lube.

Wulf I'm guessing but it sounds like you have a tool that trims the base perpendicular to the bullet's axis as well as beveling the outside corner slightly. Am I even close? It sounds like a great idea.

For those who have never cast a mini I would like to ad that the skirt must be completely filled out with no flaws. If not the skirt can blow out as the mini exits the barrel or even separate at the bottom of a grease grove leaving a ring of lead behind in the bore.

hawkeye2 said:
For those who have never cast a mini I would like to ad that the skirt must be completely filled out with no flaws. If not the skirt can blow out as the mini exits the barrel or even separate at the bottom of a grease grove leaving a ring of lead behind in the bore.

During the many years I worked the NSSA Spring and Fall National Championships, we could almost count on getting at least one or two guns every shoot with such detached Minnie Ball rings or "skirts" (as many folks called them) stuck in the bores. So this is a REAL concern that I applaud Hawkeye2 for mentioning.

Gus

You are correct. The base is `cleaned up' all the way around. Makes a big difference.
Wulf

Latest posts

Back