• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Survival Muzzleloader ! Your Pick ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Realistically, there would be no human element to worry about. One would be in a remote area. I live in lion country and have never had to worry about them except once one came after my horses. They are not hard to kill and about anything will do it. Coyotes are not a problem. I would be concerned about bear (thick on the Oregon coast but usually timid), Griz if further North and Moose which are maybe the worst of the lot. I am unfamiliar with wolves although saw my first in Oregon 6 hunting seasons ago. I would want a flinter which would be handiest for fire making, the most immediate and normal survival issue. I like 45 cal which is good for hunting and not a big waster of powder or lead. I would use the smallest diameter barrel for the caliber to keep the weight down. I also always carry small fishing equipment so food is likely less of a problem. Fishing is likely the easiest source of protein in most cases. If you are FAR up North, there is maybe a 6 week window for food gathering, otherwise, you had better be able to hunt, trap, and fish...and know what parts you MUST eat to stay healthy. Also knowing what to look for to identify sick game is important. rabbits, hares...stay away from eating those with spotted livers.

Any agate or jasper is a hardness of 7 and a good source of "flint". Heat it in a fire and it is easier to knap. Keep the flint TIGHT. Don't forget hatchet and multi-tool and proper clothing. Frankly, fishing is likely the best source of protein and coastal regions the best to stay well fed as crab and clams and birds are handy and berries are available for a couple months. You can get fat on the coast. Knowing what plants are edible is a plus. For berries remember white never, red sometimes, black always.

I'd have to pick a .32 or a .36 caliber rifle for the same reasons that we'd want a .22 rimfire if we weren't restricting this discussion to muzzleloaders.

Interesting Thread. I'd say aside from geographical location which could determine the type of game it all boils down to personal preference. I'd have a hard time aurguing against any of the responses.

Easy question. Flintlock side by side medium length 20bore (not a bird gun) with one barrel real slow twist rifled.
Flints don't run out of caps.
Two locks are twice as likely to take care of close danger.
60 caliber is big enough for all things big and small, near and far, noon day or fire light.
Both barrels handle ball or shot.
Second choice would be a flinter 20.

Double gun would be good. Perfect would be .75 smooth and .36 0r .40 rifled. .75 would stop bear with round ball or fowl with shot. Rifled bbl. everything else. I thought about the survival thing flint is always available, but if you bought the gun you could stock up on caps.
Here in the Ozarks you could live good on fish, squirrel and rabbit, with a quail or two once in a while.
For the most part, I like getting my food at the store and shootin' paper and steel.
Might be fun though, watching all the liberals crawling around tryin' to eat roots and stuff! :haha:

Double barreled 10 Ga. Pedersoli. If you are the survivalist type 10,000 caps should last a lifetime. The setlers who went west liked 10 and 8 gauge guns for a reason. 1 it was what they had and 2 they will handle shot, buckshot, and ball.

Skychief said:
Let's imagine that we find ourselves in a survival situation. We are able to have only one longgun and it must be a traditional frontstuffer. Rifled or smoothbore. Any caliber or gauge. Flintlock or percussion. The choice is yours!

What longarm (exactly) would you choose to feed and defend yourself (if need be)?
You know, when you really look back on history and the way things played out, the rifled musket in .58 makes a lot of sense, just as it did during the last great conflict using front loaders. The question assumes we have powder and lead, so we must assume we have caps too.The ease of loading, good accuracy (4" at 100 yards) and a 530 grain bullet that will drop just about anything in North America make sense.The musket caps provide a super reliable ignition and the grooves on the Minie ball allow the attachment of a paper cartrige. :hmm:

ozark57 said:
Skychief said:
Let's imagine that we find ourselves in a survival situation. We are able to have only one longgun and it must be a traditional frontstuffer. Rifled or smoothbore. Any caliber or gauge. Flintlock or percussion. The choice is yours!

What longarm (exactly) would you choose to feed and defend yourself (if need be)?
You know, when you really look back on history and the way things played out, the rifled musket in .58 makes a lot of sense, just as it did during the last great conflict using front loaders. The question assumes we have powder and lead, so we must assume we have caps too.The ease of loading, good accuracy (4" at 100 yards) and a 530 grain bullet that will drop just about anything in North America make sense.The musket caps provide a super reliable ignition and the grooves on the Minie ball allow the attachment of a paper cartrige. :hmm:

I don't know, if I spent most of my time shooting people to defend myself/family then yes your .58 with it's mini balls fit right in. However it would be rather tough to feed ones self if they find themselves surrounded by small game and fowl. It didn't take long for large game to disappear as we moved west, so I guess it would depend where your at but I can think of a beter gun to feed my family and deal with the occasional bad guy.

My 10 bore fowler arrived a few hours ago and I think that's the gun I would choose. With a stockpile of ball and shot and powder, and some fishing gear and snares, I'd be in good shape for a long stay away from civilization. I'd likely want some really good coffee beans with me, too.

Russ T Frizzen said:
My 10 bore fowler arrived a few hours ago and I think that's the gun I would choose. With a stockpile of ball and shot and powder, and some fishing gear and snares, I'd be in good shape for a long stay away from civilization. I'd likely want some really good coffee beans with me, too.

Can always inlet a coffee grinder in the butt stock. :hmm: :wink:

But exactly, your talking about a gun more suited to put food in the pot of all kinds and defend your family.

Now there's a thought! Like the old "coffee grinder" Sharps carbines of the Civil War period. Yankee ingenuity at its best!

I love my rifles, Swampy, but I agree that in a one gun situation a medium or large bore smoothbore is best. Can't beat the versatility and stopping power and they are usually light for their bore compared to a rifle of the same caliber. :thumbsup:

I'll try to get some posted tomorrow--the light isn't very good now. And my flash always washes the detail out.

I would take my 26 ga smoothie flinter. Would be enough for the german environment without any bears or other dangeraous game.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I guess I would pick a .50 caliber flinter and would try to get a drop in switch shotgun barrel for the stock. The problem with a survival situation is one of location and mobility. You may have to carry everything you need with you at all times. Can't have too much stuff to carry.

"I love my rifles, Swampy, but I agree that in a one gun situation a medium or large bore smoothbore is best. Can't beat the versatility and stopping power and they are usually light for their bore compared to a rifle of the same caliber"

Now Russ we have been told that the rifle is the best tool for the job here by Dan so let's not hear any more of this smoothbore nonsense even though the majority allways make that choice when this question comes up. :nono:

tg said:
"I love my rifles, Swampy, but I agree that in a one gun situation a medium or large bore smoothbore is best. Can't beat the versatility and stopping power and they are usually light for their bore compared to a rifle of the same caliber"

Now Russ we have been told that the rifle is the best tool for the job here by Dan so let's not hear any more of this smoothbore nonsense even though the majority allways make that choice when this question comes up. :nono:

Latest posts

Back