• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sunday Hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I was studying in college (I got my degree in history, what else?) I found a joke book from the 1830's. most of the jokes were topical of the day ( like Clinton jokes) and made no sense to someone not in tune with the times. Please dont be offended.
The joke is about a boy, his dog and a farmer. It goes like this...
A boy is walking down the road to the woods with a gun and his dog, at a fence post the boy stops to talk to a farmer plowing his field.
(f) Where are you going with that big ole gun and that dog?
(b) Im going to the woods up ahead to do some hunting.
(f) Do you hunt much?
(b) yes sir, I try to hunt every week end.
(f) you even hunt on sundays?
(b) yes sir.
(f) dont you fear the Lord?
(b) well, I always take my gun.

Far as I know, Alabama only restricts Sunday hunting on State Management Areas. Private land is open for any type of hunting that is in season. If not, I've been breaking the law for 30 years.

In the current issue of "Pennsylvania Outdoor News", Bob Steiner addresses the "Sunday Hunting Ban" that has been in effect here for as long as I can remember. His premise is that Sunday hunting is about religious freedom and land rights.

He suggests that there is more shooting on Sunday in Pennsylvania than on any other day because of all the gun clubs holding their "shoots" on that day. So, firearm noise shouldn't be a reason to ban Sunday hunting.

He reminds us that bars are now open, persons can now purchase alcoholic beverages at some State Liquor Stores, and there isn't a major store franchise closed anywhere in the state to shoppers and their quest for bargains.

He suggests, and I thoroughly agree, that the PA. Game Commission and the State Legislature need to offer private land owners the option of opening their properties to hunting, BECAUSE they own their land and should have the right (the same as the farmers) to open or post their land as they desire. AND, the Game Commission and the DNR should be able to open specific Game Lands and State Forests for Sunday hunting, as they deem necessary for game management.

This seems like a no brainer to me, but that is just my opinion. I can now shoot crows, coyotes, and clay pigeons on Sunday in this state. How much more disruptive will an arrow release, a shot from a flintlock, or the crack from a .270 be to the country side's Sunday tranquility? :m2c: :thumbsup:

I'm in southwestern PA, and I'm from the old school. If I had my druthers, it would be 1950 again...5 days to work, 1 day to hunt, and a sabboth for quiet, rest, and contemplation. But, times change. Many today work 6 days a week, and with modern family schedules ( that I would not want to keep up with), Sunday is the only day that a parent can go hunting with their son or daughter. It's an idea who's time has come. My grandsons will begin hunting this year. If Sunday hunting comes in, we will certainly be hunting on Sunday afternoons, but, they, and I, will be in church on Sunday morning. I can bend, but only so far.

You're right, there is no longer any reason to ban Sunday hunting, except as it would probably affect deer populations, bag limits, and season length. If it were open now, I'd probably spend the morning in church and the evening in the woods. And as it was said, everything, including liquor stores are opening here on Sundays. I'd have no problem with private land owners closing their land to Sunday hunthing. One thing that always sticks in my craw is the fact that the SGL's in this state were bought by hunter's dollars, not the tree huggers, hikers, bikers, and bird watchers. I can't see them as a reason for closing Sunday hunting.

I agree with you. We pay the frieght and they get the free ride. In addition, they can go year round to look at nature. We only use the woods a few weeks out of the year. They have 52 Sundays. We would have five or six.

I really don't understand the big flap about sundays - up here in NH and VT we've been hunting on sundays all along! I call hunting (and fishing ) my version of "going to church". I all ways thought no sunday hunting was a law thought up by some dumb flatlander- but there seems to be lots of the flatlanders from mass up here every weekend.hey,if they want to hunt sunday so bad why not change the law down there instead of driving all the way up here?I agree it's an outdated law that does no one any good and everyone stuck in a no sunday state should work to get it changed.

We're limited to 2 tags regular season(3day weekend and a 4 day weekend), 1 tag muzzleloading season(last weekend of regular season and 3 day on the next weekend), and 1 tag late season (January). Archery permits are unlimited.
One thing though, only 2 antlered deer for all permits combined-per year.
Sunday has never been restricted as far as I know.

Our small game season lasts 5 1/2 months. That's around 23 Sundays of hunting, not 5 or 6. There may also be the issue of increased enforcement costs associated with implementing it.

Yes, my State has Sunday hunting. I've been several Sunday afternoons so far this year. If it wasn't for Sunday hunting, my days would be more limited.

Received in the NRA newsletter 1/14/2006 with an interesting fact page link:

NORTH CAROLINA
Hunters in North Carolina cannot hunt on Sundays, but now they have a chance to speak out on the matter. The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission is holding public meetings to get input on the fate of Sunday hunting in the state. Only eight states have a complete prohibition on Sunday hunting. The states that allow Sunday hunting have healthy game populations and do not have higher rates of hunter accidents or landowner-hunter conflicts. To find out more about why Sunday hunting should be allowed, read our fact sheet on the issue at[url] www.NRAILA.org/Issues/Factsheets/Read.aspx?ID=174.[/url] Please submit your comments about Sunday hunting online by visiting[url] www.ncwildlife.org[/url].

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, got the same newsletter (Just a bit late though). Public meetings held or being held:
Jan. 17 Morganton, NC
Jan. 18 Sylva, NC
Jan. 19 Boonville, NC
Jan. 24 Edenton, NC
Jan. 25 New Bern, NC
Jan. 26 Louisburg, NC
More info at:[url] www.ncwildlife.org[/url]
[url] www.nraila.org[/url]
Submit your comments.

After getting more info and checking...it appears those orange cards are not exacctly correct in what they say. On the NC Wildlife web site comment form it states that Sunday hunting is not one of the issues for discussion for this coming season at these meetings. A comment form for this will be further down the road....Different legislative action is needed to approve this by the general assembly. Looks like somebody got their own ideas of whats going on....

After a bit more checking: N.C. Gov. Easley and legislators have asked Wildlife Resource commission to study sunday hunting in NC. A report is to be sent to the 2007 legislature for possible action. At the scheduled meetings all the plan is, is to ask those in attendance how they feel about sunday hunting. Very informal, maybe just a show of hands, per commission spokesman Brad Deen. Comment form to follow at a later date on commission web site.

For those interested, the form for your comments in regards to sunday hunting in NC is on the website.[url] www.ncwildlife.org[/url]

These are changing times. More and more factories and such are working six and seven day weeks and Sunday may be a workers only time off for hunting. Ive been working 60 hr. weeks for months and some of my co-workers for over a year. This is not by choice especially at my age.

There is a new Sunday Hunting proposal being considered in CT right now. This is the current proposal:

(NEW) (b) HUNTING ON SUNDAY IS ALLOWED ON PRIVATE PROPERTY PROVIDED WRITTEN PERMISSION CONSENTING TO SUCH ACTIVITY SHALL BE OBTAINED FROM THE OWNER, LESSEE, OR AGENT OF SUCH LAND AND SUCH PERMISSION SHALL BE CARRIED BY ANY PERSON ENGAGED IN SUCH HUNTING. SUNDAY HUNTING MAY OCCUR IN AREAS DESIGNATED BY THE COMMISSIONER WHEN THE COMMISSIONER HAS DETERMINED THAT ADDITIONAL MANAGEMENT IS REQUIRED TO CONTROL AN OVERPOPULATION OF GAME SPECIES.

The advocates claim that if passed, Sunday hunting will be allowed only on private land in 3 of the total of 13 CT deer management zones that are over populated with deer and only with the commissioner's approval.

Reasons for the limited Sunday hunting proposal include:
5. Increases Harvest: “The deer harvest on Saturdays during the firearms season is 76% greater than the average harvest on weekdays. The addition of Sundays during the private land firearms season would add only 3 hunting days, all within the current season framework, but is expected to increase firearm harvest rates in Deer Management Zones 7, 11 and 12 by 23%. Further, the addition of 20 hunting days with Sunday bow hunting is estimated to increase harvest rates in Deer Management Zones 7, 11 and 12 (Shoreline and parts of Fairfield County) by 28%” (DEP, Dep. Comm. Leff). Inclement weather on one or more Saturdays, particularly during firearms season, significantly reduces take and management.

I never understood the practical purpose of blue laws.
Glad I don't have to deal with them up here.

Back