• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suicide with flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GoodCheer said:
The reason is I asked that is that I don't understand why anybody would believe what they were told by a TV.
Well, I have to ask. Why would we believe anything we are told by a total stranger on an Internet forum? An anonymous stranger at that. :wink:

I cannot imagine taking a 1 once .69 caliber ball in the chest and still have enough perseverance left to reload and shoot yourself in the back of the head. I am guessing this was the sequence, as the show did not say.

Jack Wilson said:
GoodCheer said:
The reason is I asked that is that I don't understand why anybody would believe what they were told by a TV.
Well, I have to ask. Why would we believe anything we are told by a total stranger on an Internet forum? An anonymous stranger at that. :wink:

Well, that's a good question. And after all, if a man caint believe his own TV then who could he believe!

The story I read said he had
two guns that were later found
in his trunk along with many other
thing of his....

wulf said:
The story I read said he had
two guns that were later found
in his trunk
along with many other
thing of his....

There you go. It's obviously a scam because there were no cars back in those days... :rotf:

Colonialist said:
I missed the program. What was the suggested motive for the murder?

I'll try to give you an overview of it but it really needs to be seen to understand what went on.

The General of the Army, I want to say Wilkison? not sure thats right, was jealous of Lewis and thought he should have been the Govenor of the purchased territory, not Lewis. Apperantly this General was a very bad man and the program shows how he conspired to have Lewis killed. They discovered the letter handed to Jefferson telling of what happened to Lewis was not written by the man who supposedly signed it. The Inn of which Lewis stayed was a bad place which preyed upon travelers. The owner somehow came upon a large amount of money after Lewis death.

Lots of very interesting stuff was uncovered for a must see program. Then decide for yourself what to believe.

Thanks for the thumbnail.
I'll have to look out for the show when it pops up as a repeat.

Swampy said:
Colonialist said:
I missed the program. What was the suggested motive for the murder?

I'll try to give you an overview of it but it really needs to be seen to understand what went on.

The General of the Army, I want to say Wilkison? not sure thats right, was jealous of Lewis and thought he should have been the Govenor of the purchased territory, not Lewis. Apperantly this General was a very bad man and the program shows how he conspired to have Lewis killed. They discovered the letter handed to Jefferson telling of what happened to Lewis was not written by the man who supposedly signed it. The Inn of which Lewis stayed was a bad place which preyed upon travelers. The owner somehow came upon a large amount of money after Lewis death.

Lots of very interesting stuff was uncovered for a must see program. Then decide for yourself what to believe.

A book came out on General Wilkinson last year entitled "An Artist In Treason". Turns out he was a Spanish spy. He alterted the Spanish that Lewis and Clark were going on their expedition and the Spanish sent out their own expedition to try and intercept them.

After reading this book, I wouldn't put anything pass General Wilkinson. It chronicles all the people he personally and professionally destroyed to hide his espionage.

First, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
It was a TV show which needs controversy and/or sensationalism. They only show what they want you to see. Be it a "documentary" or the "news".

He could easily have killed himself I suppose.
But the Nachez Trace was not very traveler friendly at the time and murder was apparently pretty common.
So it could be either way. There was no sophisticated medical examination, no forensics.
The people that looked at him probably knew little more than he had been shot when looking at him.
People that appear weak have always been prime targets. If he was depressed and paying no/little attention to his surroundings that would have been enough to provoke an attack.
If he were actually shot in the head with a large bore pistol, his talking to people afterwards if there was any significant penetration of the skull is VERY unlikely.
So if he was shot in the head and talking afterwards I have serious ?????

Dan

A few years ago a person I know shot himself in the head with a .50cal muzzleloading pistol, he survived and you would never know he had been shot in the head, unless you had known him before the act.

Mr. Phariss,
You are right. What kind of story it would be if you couldn't inject some controversy. I didn't even think there might have been two guns, some detective I would make. The show doesn't really say but sorta leads you to believe there was only one gun. They shot a ballistic gelatin torso with bones in it with a .69 cal flintlock 'horse' pistol and the ball did considerable damage. I can't imagine anyone, two loaded pistols or not, shooting themselves twice.

Btw his body was examined years later when it was moved and theres a written document stating the opinion of the Doc who examined him and he said the cause of death had to me Murder.

They also have tried to get Lewis body exhumed in modern times but it's been refused so far.

Perhaps not, but it did bring it to the attention of FNG's like myself who were unaware of it until now. :redface:
After all not all of us are old enough to have read the newspaper at the time :rotf:

Hello All,

For those who haven't seen, best not to jump to conclusions as it did lay out some good facts that made the potential for political assassination disguised as suicide possible.

Best to watch it and do your own research on the issues they raised.

Cheers,

David

Back