• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Suicide with flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like most famous/infamous deaths of celebrities, this one will be debated forever. Where were the CSI when they were really needed? :cursing:

I didn't see that episode, didn't even know there was such a program before this discussion but I did see the one on John Wilkes Booth and I am now convinced Booth is alive and well living with his 17th wife on a pineapple plantation in Norway. :haha:
The program reminds me a lot of Jessie Ventura's "Conspiracy Theory" program. They bring up a lot of things which might have happened with no proof at all that any of those scenarios ever DID happen.

I agree, and they pretty much ignore all the evidence on the other side of the "mystery". I still like to watch it though.

They make some interesting statements, but what can be proved? Both suicide or murder seem to be plausible. I don't know how you would ever tell at this stage.

It will never be solved but it was a very interesting show that makes you think and it shouldn't be judged by any previous shows you may have watched.

Lewis was broke, did drugs and wasn't a good businessman.
He was also Jefferson's personal secretary and a key member of the Lewis and Clark expedition to the "end of the world"
That was very successful and expanded the size of the USA by half.
After watching the show. I think his body should be ex-hummed and examined.
There are plenty of direct decedents to get DNA from.Like they say "dead-men do tell tails"

texcl said:
A few years ago a person I know shot himself in the head with a .50cal muzzleloading pistol, he survived and you would never know he had been shot in the head, unless you had known him before the act.

Shot placement is everything.
I have shot a lot of things in the head, Beaver mostly, and one was enough for all of them so far as I can recall.
But someone did shoot a Buffalo bull with a 54 side to side through the brain and it got back up...
A friend shot a cow elk in the forehead with a short barreled 50 cal flintlock pistol and she did not survive. But shot placement was perfect.

Dan

Back