• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pvt. J. Potts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pvt. J. Potts

Keelboat in a early morning Missouri River fog
Reaction score
I'm a retired banker with hobby bison farm. Orginally from the Kingdom of Callaway I now reside in Northwest Missouri.
Over the last 45 years I've been a Buckskinner, Mountain Man & Long Hunter. I heard the river call in 2003 and signed on with the Discovery Expedition of St. Charles for the 200th anniversary celebration of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. While portraying a collateral relative Private Johann Potts I traveled approximately 2,500 miles on the Mississippi, Missouri, Grand and Yellowstone Rivers in the keelboat, white and red pirogues and dugout canoe. I have since been settled down in the 1803-1809 time period. The orginal expedition ended in September 1806 but Potts headed back to the mountains with his friend from the expedition Peter Weiser where they signed on with Manuel Lisa's fur trading company where they worked traps on the Jefferson River, a river they helped name. In the late fall of 1809 Potts and his old friend from the expedition, John Colter, were checking traps on the Jefferson when they were ambushed by several Blackfoot Indians. They were quickly overwhelmed by the tribe. In the short battle that ensued Potts was killed which satisfied the blood-lust of the natives and Colter was captured. Colter was stripped naked and given the opportunity to run for his life. Potts body was mutilated and strewn about the banks of the Jefferson River while Colter was making his run into history. Potts gave his life for his friend John Colter and I try to tell his story so his deeds are not forgotten. Potts had no known children and would be my 3 or 4th great uncle according to our family folklore. The photo accompanying my profile is a painting done by Kyle L. Carroll representing his interpretation of Potts. The Big Red 1 forage cap is mine any resemblance ends there.

Attachments

• 20200610_232508.jpg
    20200610_232508.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 3
  • FB_IMG_1515417763893 2.jpg
    FB_IMG_1515417763893 2.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1656939239261.jpg
    FB_IMG_1656939239261.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm a retired banker with hobby bison farm. Orginally from the Kingdom of Callaway I now reside in Northwest Missouri.
Over the last 45 years I've been a Buckskinner, Mountain Man & Long Hunter. I heard the river call in 2003 and signed on with the Discovery Expedition of St. Charles for the 200th anniversary celebration of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. While portraying a collateral relative Private Johann Potts I traveled approximately 2,500 miles on the Mississippi, Missouri, Grand and Yellowstone Rivers in the keelboat, white and red pirogues and dugout canoe. I have since been settled down in the 1803-1809 time period. The orginal expedition ended in September 1806 but Potts headed back to the mountains with his friend from the expedition Peter Weiser where they signed on with Manuel Lisa's fur trading company where they worked traps on the Jefferson River, a river they helped name. In the late fall of 1809 Potts and his old friend from the expedition, John Colter, were checking traps on the Jefferson when they were ambushed by several Blackfoot Indians. They were quickly overwhelmed by the tribe. In the short battle that ensued Potts was killed which satisfied the blood-lust of the natives and Colter was captured. Colter was stripped naked and given the opportunity to run for his life. Potts body was mutilated and strewn about the banks of the Jefferson River while Colter was making his run into history. Potts gave his life for his friend John Colter and I try to tell his story so his deeds are not forgotten. Potts had no known children and would be my 3 or 4th great uncle according to our family folklore. The photo accompanying my profile is a painting done by Kyle L. Carroll representing his interpretation of Potts. The Big Red 1 forage cap is mine any resemblance ends there.
I love Bison and am always thankful that the conservation guy back in the late 19th C. called an alarm before they were made extinct. Good for you as well!

Thinking we have a few on the forum that were on that trip at some point and time. @andy52 was on part of it I believe.

RM
Yes, sir I was, I played the part of Joseph Field. In the OP first photo I see the red pirogue and the keelboat so I'm assuming he is on the white pirogue. I and many other built the keelboat from scratch after the first on burned down in a warehouse fire.
My trip with the Corp started in Elizabeth town on the Monongahela River were Lewis bought the original keelboat. We travel down the Monongahela to Fort Pitt where the Alleghany meets and becomes the Ohio.
I didn't go from the Ohio up the Mississippi because some of us had to build Camp de Buois at wood river for the winter over there.
It was fun but 50 years old at the time I was way older than a 20 something Joseph Field...;)

Yes, sir I was, I played the part of Joseph Field. In the OP first photo I see the red pirogue and the keelboat so I'm assuming he is on the white pirogue. I and many other built the keelboat from scratch after the first on burned down in a warehouse fire.
My trip with the Corp started in Elizabeth town on the Monongahela River were Lewis bought the original keelboat. We travel down the Monongahela to Fort Pitt where the Alleghany meets and becomes the Ohio.
I didn't go from the Ohio up the Mississippi because some of us had to build Camp de Buois at wood river for the winter over there.
It was fun but 50 years old at the time I was way older than a 20 something Joseph Field...;)
As a rule I was on rhe White pirogue, as was Potts. I stayed in the barracks at De Buois several nights. Thanks for helping build the fort. My time on the river began in the storms of 2004 at De Buois.

As a rule I was on rhe White pirogue, as was Potts. I stayed in the barracks at De Buois several nights. Thanks for helping build the fort. My time on the river began in the storms of 2004 at De Buois.
We just had the 20th anniversary of building Camp de Buois
last year. There were at least 5 of us there for the ceremony.
You may remember some of them, Scott Mandrel (Lewis), Al Puknat (Labiche), and a few others.
There was a lot of volunteer work that went into that camp.
I was the only one there that was certified to operate heavy equipment and many of the locals donated the use of their
machines which helped immensely.
I'm pretty sure you came in after Glenn had passed the whole thing was his dream, he was a very pleasant and humble person.

Latest posts

Back