• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Success with tow and round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When and where I grew up deer hunting by law was shotgun slug only, and these were big ole corn fed white tails. Not once ever did I feel under-gunned using a flintlock. Granted I couldn't rack in another slug quickly, but I can't say I ever needed to. Or wanted to.

Sorry but I would pick Woodcock at our old bag limits and using a flush dog. That is my dream hunts when I expire.
With a nice 28 ga. double barrel flinter, yes crisp new England mornings a bit of frost cool enough just where you can see the springers breath, All nervous pointing and the then the flush. perhaps in a abandoned farm steds over grown apple orchard.

for tow shooting go GOOGLE DUELIST1954. MARK BELEVIEV, he w writes for muzzle loading / magazines. he is great.

Thanks NHMoose although I now tend to the muzzle loader hunting, when I was a lot younger maybe 10 years old and started deer hunting with my dad and uncles the old lever action rifles were the norm, Woolrich plaid and knee high lace up leather boots. lunch rolled up in wax paper and brown paper grocery bags stuffed in a pocket. good times were to be had then. Sadly the old boys have moved on to I hope better hunting grounds. I now hunt mostly alone, guess this is why the traditional clothing and weapons of the period we emulate. Nostalgia and memories. Great companions.

Sorry but I would pick Woodcock at our old bag limits and using a flush dog. That is my dream hunts when I expire.
Thought you said wood chuck when I first read this. I like woodchuck but I don’t know if I would trade deer for wood chuck or wood chuck for deer.
Glad Hods not asking me to give up one... ouch

TG the absolute funniest days afield I have had was jumping Woodcock with our dogs, my father , nephews and son. Better than deer hunts, moose hunts and bear hunts.

Those hunts are what I could live in eternity doing, hoping to have the same dogs and family along.

Latest posts

Back