• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

style for F&I and waterfowling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdtrekker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello everyone,

Looking for a good smoothbore for waterfowling using bismuth no-tox shot. My questions for you are these...does gauge make as big a difference as it does related to modern shotguns? what gauge/caliber would you recomend for all around use for fowl and big game? Who builds them or where can I look for a smoothbore smith? I am also interested in keeping it to the F&I time period. All help is greatly appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am partial to the brown bess (.75 caliber)

A short barreled version would would carry and swing on target easier than the long 42 incher...

Also, you can look in our links section under weapons for people that make custom muzzleloaders...

I have the new 1778 Sea Service Brown Bess on order from[url] MilitaryHeritage.com[/url] and expect it any day now. It is also a .75 and has a 37" barrel.
; There are only 2 rod pipes and no forend cup so the barel should swing well. I expect I'll be converting to a wooden rammer as many of the originals were.
; Last time at the loading store, I bought a couple bags of steel shot cups. They're quite stiff compared to lead-shot cups and should tighten up the patterns considerably. This should give a good 50 to 60yd. max for geese or ducks using Bismuth. I'll see how wellit patterns shortly after getting it I hope. In the cylinder bore, it is quite possible that steel shot could also be used (with steel shot cups) for much cheaper shooting than bismuth. I bought the 10 bore size as they are closer to .75, yet are still under than measurment & will fit. A hard card wad has to be used under them, on top of the powder to prevent the plastic from melting. BP does that to plastic wads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back