• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood patch box lid - how high?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am going to install for the first time a wood patch box lid on a Chambers' Early Lancaster kit that I'm building for a friend. There was no precarve cavity and lid because the wood patchbox was not part of the original plan and therefore not on the kit work order. I have the cavity chiseled out to a uniform 1/4" depth and soon I will cut in the female dovetail on each side to accept the dovetail on the wood lid. I plan to make the two piece lid as described in Alexander's book. The dovetailed base will of course be 1/4" thick. My question is: what is the typical height/thickness of the lid at its thickest point, assuming the height of the lid above the 1/4" base piece?

First of all, it is way, way, way, way, way, way, WAY easier to make the lid from ONE piece, rather than two. Not to mention vastly more historical.

I hope that you first have the whole area of the stock where the lid will be FLAT. And I mean FLAT. :wink:

As far as the lid thickness over the dovetail portion, Depends on the gun, but about 1/4" to 3/8", I guess, more or less.

IM000208.jpg

SB-top2.jpg

SB-towworm.jpg

104.jpg

Hi Stophel,

Thanks for your insight and pictures. I was going to try to make a one-piece lid but after I flattened the stock and laid down the flat bottom of the lid (still "square" at this point") onto the flat profile on the stock, the fit was perfect. I don't know if I could replicate that fit by measuring, scribing and cutting out the male dovetail and thereby creating a new "bottom" for the lid - the portion that hangs over the stock. I've tried to make that type of measure/cut before when making base plugs for powderhorns and I can never make that profile perfectly even. So, I figured since I already have the perfect lid-to-stock fit I'd change my approach and make a two-piece lid. Should be easy enough to fashion a separate dovetailed base and once it's fitted into the dovetail in the cavity, just file it flush to the stock and attach the lid to the base.

I use a marking gauge to mark the depth of the dovetails on the lid, so they will be straight and even. It's really a no fuss-no muss operation, and much simpler than trying to fit two pieces of wood together and glue them in place. I started years ago making two piece lids, thinking that it had to be easier than making them one piece (all the while finding that it was a PAIN). Finally I started making them one piece and it was like the clouds rolled away! :haha:

The biggest part of wood lids is getting the taper of the lid matched up to the taper of the dovetail opening in the stock.

Back